The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any reviews on Jackson Maverick HD?
Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 3:15 pm    

I had an original Sho-Bud raised neck Maverick when I was first starting to play almost 50 years ago. I loved the tone and feel of a pull-release guitar. The tuning stability was horrible though. I wondering am I just nostalgic for my early years of playing or if really is something to a pull-release guitar tonally and feel wise.
All comments are welcome and I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 5:45 pm    

I've had mine for a little over a year it has been my first and only PSG so take it with a grain of salt.

Pros:
1. Jackson has been a very good company to interact with
2. Very quality instrument for the money
3. Tone across the instrument range has that pseudo push pull body to the notes especially the sustain in the higher register that I understand some older all pull models lacked.
4. This one is really a cool trick. Raises override lowers, so E flat lever plus C pedal makes for some cool harmonic minor "eastern" type sounds.

Cons:
1. learning the pull release mechanism (mostly stemming from a lack of extensive info about the mechanism online)
2. Having to use a wound 5th (this con isn't a problem for me now as I settled on the Jagwire Lloyd Green)
3. I had a sticking problem in the bell crank on the A pedal a bit probably due to temperature/climate changes. Bell cranks are friction fit not bearing based.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 6:55 pm    

Thanks John.