The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SOLD: National Model D — price reduced for SGF members
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2021 4:50 pm    

For Sale: This 2008 National Model D squareneck. It’s an all-walnut guitar in excellent condition. It is a traditional build with a soundwell, and has the original National cone and spider. I had Seattle luthier Paul Stroh install a slightly taller bone nut and maple saddle inserts; otherwise it is “showroom stock.” I acquired it less than a year ago, it having been played rarely since it left the National shop in 2008. My only interest in selling it is so it will get played more. (I also own a 1931 tricone, a koa 2004 Model D Western, and a 1986 Dobro Model 60DNS. Oh — and I have a new National Scheerhorn en route!)

The hard case and shipping anywhere in the US are included; the price is $1600 for Forum members.

When Don Young (no relation) left Dobro in 1988 to launch National Reso-Phonic, he initially focused on single-cone, biscuit bridge guitars, then tricones. But in 2000 he added the spider-bridge Model D to the lineup, putting to use his experience and knowledge gained working with the Dopyeras before they left Dobro. The Model D was in production until Don and Eric Smith began producing spider-bridge guitars under the Smith & Young label, which have since been replaced in the National lineup by Scheerhorns.

Last edited by Russ Young on 19 Oct 2021 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 1:03 pm    

TTT

Gary Bouchard

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 12:33 pm     National still for sale?

Hi Russ, just checking to see if the guitar is still for sale? I’m interested in it but I’m just a beginner player and I can’t find a lot of information on this model. Let me know if you have any other info about it. Thanks!

Gary Bouchard

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 4:10 pm     National still for sale

Hi Russ, Gary again. Just in case it helps, another way for us to communicate is email. My email is:

gary_bouchard@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 8:50 am    

Hello, Gary — sorry for the slow response … I’m just back from a few days in Canada and am now catching up.

Yes, the guitar is still for sale! And I’ll pull together some more information about the guitar and send it your way before the end of the day.

Thanks,

Russ

Gary Bouchard

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 11:33 am     National Model D

Thanks Russ, I appreciate any other info you’ve got. I’ve got quite a few regular guitars ( I have GAS ) but I’m just getting into resonator lap steel. I’ve seen some Western Model D’s but I’ve not seen one like your Koa version. Must be beautiful! I’m trying to figure out why the Model D is so much less expensive. I know the trim level is way higher on the Western but is that the only difference? Do you know the year it was made?

My only resonator right now is one a friend bought me. It’s an inexpensive Gretsch so I think the National would be a step up and I’ll use a different tuning on it. Thanks for any info you have.

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 10:14 am    

Sold! Sending donation.