The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Showcase 1941 Fingerpicks
Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 10:47 am    

Does anyone know where to find a pair of these? Every place that carries them is out of stock.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 12:49 pm     Showcase picks

You might want to try Hoffmeyer picks shown in the links of this Forum. Excellent alternative to Showcase. See my thread in this section too.

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 1:15 pm     Re: Showcase picks

Jim Saunders wrote:
You might want to try Hoffmeyer picks shown in the links of this Forum. Excellent alternative to Showcase. See my thread in this section too.

I recently did get a set of the Hoffmeyer custom size picks, they're pretty comfortable but feel a little different than the 1941's. Maybe the standard size would feel more comparable?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 1:20 pm    

I've been using the 1941's for at least 15 years. I got some National NP2's, which are supposed to be like the originals and they fit and sound like the 1941's (which are a copy of the original Nationals).

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 1:26 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I've been using the 1941's for at least 15 years. I got some National NP2's, which are supposed to be like the originals and they fit and sound like the 1941's (which are a copy of the original Nationals).

I've got a pair of those as well, Jack. Maybe I need to spend more time on shaping them?
So, Is the company that makes these 1941 picks out of business?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 1:28 pm    

I would expect to see a run on Hoffmeyer picks as it is the only national style nickel silver finger pick you can find right now. No Showcase. You can find Nationals in stainless steel or brass but not nickel silver. I saw some propaganda that Daddario, the company that now has Nationals, might start offering nickel silver picks in 2022. For now it's SS or brass.

[Bob Perry picks look similar but no experience and then there's ProPik and Dumlop.]

ALl the other sources for National either state out of stock NP2 or SS, Brass only. I have seen some NP1's but I don't know anything about those.

I dunno what the deal with nickel silver is, but I'm wishing I had kept a few more of my JF's that I let go earlier this year.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 16 Oct 2021 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 1:41 pm    

I've used Showcase for a long time, but recently got a set of Hoffmeyers, and as good as the Showcase picks are, I like these better. I'm using their custom set and love them.

Dave

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 3:31 pm    

Matt,
Sent you a PM.
John Ducsai

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 9:46 pm    

The stories I have read on the ShowCase 1941 picks. The name Bill Stokes a Banjo player usually comes up. He designed the picks to an exact copy of old pre WWII National picks down to type of metal and thickness.

Some years ago at a steel guitar show in Washington Pa. some people was looking for Showcase 1941 picks. 1 of the displayers said they had to be ordered from a man, Who was sick at the time and they could not get picks.

THIS POST WORRIED ME, As my playing set of Showcase 1941's are showing ware. So I checked my seat and I have a New fitted set Showcase 1941's with thumb pick in their box, Ready for an emergency situation. I checked my stash, At my age I believe, I have enough to last me through my picking days.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 9:39 am    

I bought some 41's from Mullen and couldn't shape the blade to a nice curve the way I like them but there's a few people making repros of the first generation National Oval 8's targeting banjoists: Hoffmeyer, Warren Yates, Richie Dotson and Randall Wyatt. The Yates and Dotson imitations are really good picks.

https://www.banjomart.com/

and http://yatesbanjos.com/picks.htm