The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2021 5:56 am    

RIP, Paddy.

The Chieftains were my entry into Celtic music in my late teens and Paddy's sound on the pipes were a big part of what led me to learn more about the genre and listen to more progressive bands like the Bothy Band, Martin Carty, Nic Jones, Silly Wizard, DeDannen, etc. RIP Paddy, you kept a beautiful tradition alive and vibrant and helped it find a wider audience worldwide.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10165670386790453&set=a.10150329690695453

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW9N2TIiVd0&t=44s

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 7:45 am    

Hmmm. I remember BoB making a comment on here awhile back that the obits should only be about steel players, or those we loved and admired. Paddy didn't play steel, but was loved and admired by many. So I guess he qualifies. Nancy Griffith possibly didn't play steel either, but steel was used on some of her recordings. So I guess she made the grade. Thanks to those who remember these fine, talented, artists, and put their obits on the SGF.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 11:29 am     Paddy Moloney and The Chieftains

Andy,

Thanks for this posting about the passing of Paddy Moloney of The Chieftains. Not only did their worldwide performances inspire many people to love Celtic music, the Chieftains also were very into collaborations with musicians of all genre's. RIP Paddy.

Many Celtic songs have been played beautifully by steel guitar players, including this wonderful song by Jesse Nestor and Bruce Bouton. An original by Jesse this song has Celtic oozing from it's soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4y4zNeeR00

Jesse also does a haunting rendition of The Skye Boat Song, the Outlander series theme song.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 1:34 pm    

I think that the Irish pipes and pedal steel probably have a lot in common in that it's a small community that appreciates either of them, but a very dedicated community.

My dad sang opera and played jazz piano for a living for a time, but in his later years, he was an Irish button box player (C#/D). I remember at the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville, the Cheiftains were playing and Dad wanted to go see them. Matt Molloy from the Bothy Band was playing with them by this time. There was a big line, and Dad asked a lady in the line what the line was leading to. She replied, "it's to see the Chaplains. They're Irish folk singers, you know." Dad was completely grossed out!

Anyway, I think that Paddy was to his community the same as Buddy and Lloyd and Curly are to ours. Appropriate post I think.

Dave

Terry Barnett

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 6:20 am    

Paddy Maloney was one of those few musicians who transcended his instrument. His influence was also undeniable not just in the Celtic music world. The Chieftains included many North American musicians on recordings and broadcasts. Jerry Douglas for example. Paddy Maloney will definitely be missed. RIP

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 6:57 am    

If you think Steel guitar is difficult, try playing the Uilleann Pipes. I tried for a while and gave up and sold my pipes. They are unplayable if the humidity drops below a certain level.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 6:00 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
If you think Steel guitar is difficult, try playing the Uilleann Pipes. I tried for a while and gave up and sold my pipes. They are unplayable if the humidity drops below a certain level.

Heck Bill, I can't even pronounce it.

RIP Paddy

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 6:46 am    

Here you go Richard: https://youtu.be/JGGGyjZHk40

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 9:23 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:

My Dad did the same thing. He got to a point where he was playing them pretty well, but decided he'd stick with accordion.

Legend has it that the Uilleann Pipes were invented in order to prevent pipers roaming around the land and winding up the rowdy hoardes--they must be played while sitting down. Left the warpipes to the Scots...

Dave