The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did anyone go to the Emmons guitar presentation?
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 7:14 pm    

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, the “ReSound” name is being used by one of the leading hearing aid manufacturers which are sold nationwide at Costco, Veterans Administration, amongst others. I don’t know if that would negatively affect marketing a musical instrument with that same name.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 9:13 pm    

Oh my gosh. I thought this a professionally performed rebirth of Emmons? I guess some of us are wrong. Pedal steel is not helped by issues such as this.
Please, for the Emmons name. Is there someone beyond an Internet Jockey running this Sh Show?
It is a shame these guys aren’t making the BE and MC improved push pull. The guitar works and is clever. Out of the box.
But, hey. Instead. Hete is an idea. Let’s don’t tell anyone we don’t know about the BE &MC new design. Let’s go backward and challenge the surplus of used guitars. Let’s challenge the worldwide success of Promat.
Resound. The company that is going to make Promat a faint memory.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 11:31 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:
George Seymour wrote:
Ain’t nothing wrong with the sound of a aluminum neck bolt on….just saying…one of the best by products of this endeavor is I suspect is they will offer repair services for push pulls…not many jumping into the”art”

The problem with a Bolt-on is in the assembly process.

For example, a cut tail or a Wraparound may be rodded and nearly completed if the production line is waiting for polished cast necks to arrive because the changer is mounted independently.

So what…I wouldn’t suspect the new endeavor will be replicating aluminum neck bolt ones..although it’s not my business..and mine are already in service, did not the original company offer repair services?

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 12:43 am    

I did, the guitar is fantastic. As far as the name, ReSound 65 is not the same as Resound ear monitors. Opinions are, well opinions. I personally think these guys are doing a fabulous job.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 3:34 am    

Johnny Cox wrote:
I did, the guitar is fantastic. As far as the name, ReSound 65 is not the same as Resound ear monitors. Opinions are, well opinions. I personally think these guys are doing a fabulous job.

And I’m looking forward to owning one!

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 5:50 am    

Trademark enforcement is serious business and if Resound is already is wide use a cease and desist letter is certainly possible.

This very common in effects pedals, for example Wampler had to change the Ecstasy to Euphoria, JHS changed a delay pedal to Lucky Cat due to pressure from the owners of Pink Panther movie trademarks, and lots of other examples if you google around.

Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 5:56 am    

There's a surplus of Wrap Arounds ?

Promat made a Wrap Around ?

Am I missing something Chris? Please expand on your previous post.

Mike

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 9:43 am    

Mike Bagwell wrote:
There's a surplus of Wrap Arounds ?

Promat made a Wrap Around ?

Am I missing something Chris? Please expand on your previous post.

Mike

Yes, there are a lot of Wraparounds around.
I was under the impression Promat made an alternative version of the Cut Tail. I could be wrong, Mike. If you have better information, let me know.

One thing about Resound that I find curious is, why do they use a photo of Buddie Emmons playing a guitar different from the one Resound is making? That guitar Emmons is playing is very different from the Resound guitar. And, why do they change the spelling of Buddie to Buddy? In the 1964 brochure where that photo was used, the Emmons autograph says "Buddie". He had not yet changed to Buddy.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 11:16 am    

First off, my last post was not critical of the new Emmons Company at all. My intent was only to alert Kelcey & Darin of potential trademark issues with the name "ReSound".

Secondly, I don't agreed with Chris L. The "new" Emmons Company is not a sh*t-show. They seem to be going about their business in a well thought-out and logical manner. Of course, they should start small with a limited run of guitars (in this case 10) and display their prototype to garner market interest and acquire sufficient capital to manufacture on a grander scale. Anyone who has ever been involved in a steel guitar building operation would know that it's not only a time intensive business, but also requires a substantial investment for raw materials (changer fingers, bell cranks, cast/machining equipment wood etc.). It's not any easy business to be in. Believe me, I know from having worked at Sierra Steel Guitars for 5+ years. There is virtually no "economy of scale" to speed production or reduce costs. Every instrument is essentially hand-made. No one gets rich from building steel guitars.

I don't understand how someone who has never laid eyes (or hands) on this new instrument, can offer any (but especially such harsh) criticism. From the little I've seen and heard, the guitar looks fantastic. I'll look forward to test-driving the final product.

My "hat's off" to Kelcey and Darin for taking on this endeavor.

Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 11:51 am    

Thanks Chris,

We hardly ever see Wrap Around's in my neck of the woods, I think Bobby Boggs has one and that's about it. Between me and my Dad, about 100 Emmons guitars have passed through our hands only one was a Wrap, it had been been converted poorly to a Left Hand version. This was all pre internet of course. Bolt-on's are more common here, seems like guys held on to their Sho-Buds for a while.

Damir would know much more, obviously, but Im not aware of Promat making a version of a Wrap.

I know you are a steel guitar historian with ton's of rare info about these great guitars'. You are very kind to freely share it on the Forum and the phone. I read all your post concerning original equipment and find them super informative. Thank You!!

If the split tuning works and the tone is right on this Resound guitar, I'm going to buy one.The Resound name, Buddie vs Buddy and the pic you mentioned are not things that are important to me, the actual guitar is.

Ive never met or spoken the the new owners. but I think starting out building the 65 Wrap is a good idea. Who knows what the next model will be?

Mike

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 12:25 pm    

Kelcey and Darin have been very open and transparent about every aspect of the new Emmons company, just ask them.

please see my post in another thread on the new Emmons endeavor for my testimonial about spending a day with these two fine gents and how impressed and reassured I feel after that visit. seems they've got at least 99% of the steel guitar community behind them and for very good reason.

the wraparound they're building is the legendary 1965 guitar of which there are relatively very few. the prototype I played absolutely sings and you're darn right I'd love to have one. I think we all would.

there are plans to do other designs in the future, and I imagine there will be a few custom jobs along the way. Kelcey mentioned trying an all-pull guitar at some point.

in short, there is plenty to be excited and encouraged about with this new chapter in the Emmons line and no reason whatsoever to disparage or nitpick what our new friends are creating here. respectfully.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2021 12:53 pm    

scott murray wrote:
K

the wraparound they're building is the legendary 1965 guitar of which there are relatively very few..

Twenty nine 1965 double Wraparounds were made. There were twenty in 1964. Two in 1963 that never left the factory. There were also some curious blonde lacquer and blonde with black top deck Wraparound and Wraparound/Bolt-Ons that were sold from Ron Lashley's home and not the factory. I have forgotten how many single "student model" Wraparounds were made in late 65 and 1966 and maybe 1967. The singles are harder to follow as there would be as many as six with the same main invoice number, for example, going to the music school in Canada.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 6:29 am    

Chris,
Wait till you get your hands on one of the new wraparounds. You are going to love it !