The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Tuning for use of Palm Pedals - Need Help Learning
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 5:14 pm    

I am trying to add a 2 piece Palm Pedal, and would like to know what Tunings and any other Information - Techniques - YouTubes.
My main interest is in what is/are the most common tunings.
Thanks in advance for your commentary.
YouTube Channel

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 5:58 pm     Re: What Tuning for use of Palm Pedals - Need Help Learning

George Piburn wrote:
I am trying to add a 2 piece Palm Pedal, and would like to know what Tunings and any other Information - Techniques - YouTubes.
My main interest is in what is/are the most common tunings.
Thanks in advance for your commentary.

I have Certano benders on two lap steels and have spent a lot of time working on technique with them. Both guitars are tuned in the familiar 151351 arrnagement, one is in open D and the other gets changed from either open C or open B, but the intervals across the strings remain the same. With this arrangement of strings the familiar half step raise on the third string and full step raise on the second yield the IV chord, sus4, sus2, and vi depending on which levers are activated.

Luke Cyrus Goetze occasionally plays in GBDF#AD (low to high) and similarly usess benders for a half step raise on string 3 and a full step raise on string 2. I haven't experimented with this arrangement yet but I know it's out there.

I find difficulty picking and blocking with both levers depressed simultaneiously, but have managed to wrangle my right hand to accomplish these feats with either lever depressed one at a time. Given that my right hand is thus elevated onto the levers, I worked a lot on pick blocking while playing and using the benders. Lots of practice time went into that for me but it might fall more easily into place for someone who pick blocks a lot.

Hope that's helpful.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2021 11:47 pm    

I use D in the DADF#AD configuration. I bend F#-G and A-B. I am experimenting with a C minor tuning also - CGCGCEb, still bending strings 2+3. Getting some interesting stuff with that.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 4:57 am    

if your playing c6 you'd want to lower your g to f# on one lever and lower the lowest e to eb and raise high e to f on the other. together you'd get diminished and b9 chords. these are the most used changes on c6.