The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Commander Cody (George Frayne) Passes Away At 77
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:01 pm    

RIP Commander. George and the Airmen were a huge influence for so many of us, and I don't think I can point to any music that is as much fun to listen to. Every time I listen to that stuff I find myself smiling.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 2:43 pm    

It's a drag ro hear about George's passing. CC and his LPA were one of my favorite bands back in the early 70s.

I had the pleasure of playing with George and the band from 2002 through 2012 and did 25 to 30 gigs per year with them on a part-time basis. We never rehearsed, just "parachuted in" and let it rip. Fun !!

George loved transportation type stuff; planes, trains, trucks and buses. I do too. On one road tip we had a couple hours to kill on our way to play a club in Dayton, Ohio so we stopped at Wright-Patterson AFB and museum. George, Mark "Getty" Emerick and I were riding together on that road trip. Getty hit the gift shop and George and I toured the museum. Walking through there with George was far better than listening to one of the museum tour guides. George knew extensive details and history about every plane there and hearing him tell the stories as we walked through there was priceless. A man of many interests,,, aside from cool music.

There were some "interesting" times playing for The 'Ol Commander but overall it was a blast. I was fortunate enough to do several live recordings with them and one studio album along the way as well. Like drummer, Steve Barbuto said the other day, RIP Commander... Thanks for the ride..!!

My prayers and deepest sympathies go out for Sue and the family and friends.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 8:36 am    

Yes, a week of sad news for sure. Got drunk with George back in 1978 after he played a reunion show "Commander Cody and the Moonlighters" at the Silver Dollar Saloon in Bayshore, NY. George grew up in Bayshore and the SD Saloon had just opened, was apparently owned by a good childhood friend of George's. At the time, the Airmen had disbanded and it was just the Commander and Bobby Black touring as the Commander Cody Band. The Moonlighters comprised the rest of the Airmen, so it was a full reunion concert, that was orchestrated as one of the Silver Dollar Saloon's first big shows. We closed the bar, George drank 8 shots by my count and unfortunately I drank 4 myself, along with a lot of beer. A couple hours later, stupid fool that I was at age 19, I got onto my motorcycle and crashed it a mile down the road. Got banged up but nothing too serious, my bike got the worst of it. Memorable night for sure, still wear the scars on my chin.

George was also a real good Facebook friend who was always willing to chat by private message. Sounds like cancer (the "big C" as it was stated on his or his family's FB page somewhere) got him. Appears that he endured some pain at the end, typical of that awful disease. Very sorry to hear about this George and that you endured such pain near the the end.

RIP Commander. You changed all of our lives, and yes, Bobby Black, Ernie Hagar and Buddy Cage had a lot to do with the path many of us are now on as well.

Ray Lamoureux

Hartford,New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2021 10:10 am     Comander Cody

Terry Wood wrote:
Sad news! My long time Friend Bobby Black was with The Commander a few years. RIP Commander! Prayers for the Family and Friends
I two liked his music.There were 2 local steelers,that played for him.They were Brad Higgans & Tiny Olsom.Rest in Peace...

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2021 11:18 am    

Rest easy, George.
I went to Commander Cody show at the Kachina Lodge in Taos, NM 1983 and Bobby was playing.
He spent time with me after the gig.
What an inspiration for me and many, many steelers! Thank you Bobby!
Their version of Lennon's, "Cry Baby Cry" is a huge fave of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okgRjnKXaqw
And yes, Mark Emerick is a super guy!

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 12:19 pm     Cody Defined

If you want to know about Cody including the whole band check out the book "Starmaking Machinery" by Geoffrey Stokes...it is the odyssey of their album with Ernie Hagar(Bobby Black was in Nashville)... it is atruly fascinating book about the band and the whole recording industry,.It came out in 1975 but I think amazon has it

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 12:40 pm    

Here's the link for the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Starmaking+Machinery+Geoffrey+Stokes&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss
They had a used book section too. I didn't see it right off, but they had a lot of titles when I used them.
All used books were graded.

Daniel Dickie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 7:49 pm    

RIP Commander Cody
Probably one of the only guys that had a LEGO named after him...He must have been pretty cool!

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 8:01 pm     Starmaking Machinery Price Increase

Wow what an increase!!! I knew why i never got rid of it....I'll just say it is probably worth it. A book i still read every year, the perfect amount of info and gossip...