The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lee Lessig-Spokane steel player
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 7:51 am    

Lee Lessig, longtime steel guitar player in Spokane, Washington has passed away Sept 21, 2021, at the age of 91.
Lee started playing for dances in 1947 and by 1950 was traveling around the Spokane area with various country groups. He played professionally all the way up to just a few years ago. Lee started out playing Fender non pedals and then moved to Sho-Bud and Emmons Legrande pedal steels. He also owned a Bethel pedal steel, which he loved. Here are some photos of Lee though the years. I've got some of him playing his pedal steel, but have to look, maybe post later.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 7:57 am    

I also remember when I was around 14 years old in the early 1970s when my mom took me up to a local restaurant and bar in Spokane called the Cathey Inn. It was a Chinese restaurant with a bar in the basement. Too young to go in, I stood in the door way listening to the band and Lee playing steel. Met him a short time later, and we were friends ever since. Great guy too!

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 11:02 am    

Bought my first steel guitar from Lee back in 2001. It was a
Remington D-10. Included in the sale was his CD "Steelin Away"
He was a very talented steel player/musician!

Condolences to his family.

Joel Johnston

Mead, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2021 10:21 pm     Lee Lessig Memorial Service

Thanks for posting these memories of Lee, Duane. He was a prince of a guy and a well known steel player for decades around Spokane. I attended his memorial service last Friday and it was a nice service and fitting tribute with some of the pics you posted here shown. Lee lost his wife of 63 years, Darlene, to cancer back in 2011. They had two sons and both took their own lives as adults. Lee had several brushes with cancer as well but overcame it each time. His strength in the face of adversity was inspirational.

Lee will be missed by those of us who knew him and made music with him over the years.