The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New site for me FREE HOSTING WIX .com
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2021 1:44 am    

for years I had been using 1+1 which started out pretty cheap ( monthly) then prices skyrocketed. I shut it down earlier this year.

I had been using 1+1 to host TAB programs and MP3's of tracked music from my studio. 1+1 is ( was) a good outlet but we need to be doing a good bit of retail business to make it worthwhile.

I read where a few here and on other music sites had been using the free hosting from WIX.com, while limited, it is more than adequate. Yes its totally different from the 1+1 hosting in both functionality and appearance. We do not upload our already created website to WIX , we use embedded templates for all pages. Yes we can edit the information but the basic page designs are from WIX. ITS FREE HOSTING , and it is functional. We rebuild our website from scratch using WIX template's.

At first I found it to be a bit odd in the layout and editing. You select a template for each page, then off to the left is the editing manager . Yes you can copy/paste into the editing manager if desired. I found it best to be minimal in what I presented. I can go back at any time to ADD or DELETE.

The WIX layout is done by separate pages for intro, music, video's, bio, contact etc... I believe we can also create our own page which I have not done yet.

Uploading MUSIC , Video's or Photo's can be from our PC's or from Youtube , but they must follow the template format. I found this to be a bit quirky especially for MUSIC tracks at first, then it made sense. WIX uses a Music Page which links to a MUSIC PLAYER that we create. The free site allows for 30 tracks to be hosted. I don't know if that's in total of per/music player page, as you can have more than one. You can sell music at a cost or offer them for a free downlead. I believe you can also link the music player to other sites as well. As I stated, I do not know at this time if we can isolate a single track hosted by WIX to share or post to another NET location, but that is easily accomplished by using YOUTUBE . Create an audio track with a single PHOTO and upload it to YouTube. YouTube uploaded files have a separate address which can be shared.

I do like the WIX contact page, as it allows those that are viewing and have a question to send it directly to our EMAIL account. Thats standard stuff.

At some point going forward I will re-host some TAB programs and audio and video presentations.

So here we are, initially it took about 30/45 minutes to build the site a month or two back, yesterday I spent about an hour , mostly figuring out the MUSIC PLAYER and the page editing. This is simplistic but functional. Now that I understand their process, its rather simple. ( LOL)

Remember, its FREE Hosting, they do not have a complaint department ! Laughing

I've placed a few tunes on the Music Player for the world to enjoy ! Very Happy

https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website