The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Monster Instrument Cable - won't fit & signal path
John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 2:07 pm    

For the longest time I have been using Monster Instrument Cables, but just a while ago I purchased a Nux Atlantic Reverb / Delay pedal and when I went to connect the same (Monster)cables to the Nux pedal it would not go fully into the input jack nor the mono jack on the pedal only about 1/2 way. In the meantime I have a variety of other cables and the all work with all of my equipment including the Nux pedal. I've done some research on line to no real conclusion. Also for as long as I have had them I've never noticed to look on the cable but it say's 'Signal Direction' and I never paid attention to hooking things up being concerned with the signal path. To make a long story short I just decided not to use the Monster cables for that reason. Just an interesting story I thought I would share.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 3:38 pm    

The idea that any cable works better in one direction is pure hokum. An analog signal goes alternately positive and negative and the electrons whizz back and forth in both directions.
They are just preying on people's ignorance and should be ashamed. Which they presumably aren't as they watch the money roll in.
As to the insertion problem, although I assume there is a standard pattern for ¼" jacks with agreed tolerances, in real life some won't go in (and worse, some won't come out again). The only cables I've never had issues with are Fender ones. Not cool, maybe but they're both cheap and solid and they work. In either direction.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 3:47 pm     Re: Monster Instrument Cable - won't fit & signal path

John Palumbo wrote:
For the longest time I have been using Monster Instrument Cables...

I just decided not to use the Monster cables...

Smart move; shows you're learning. Winking

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:45 pm    

Here is an old article from The Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123869022704882969

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 6:03 am    

Ian Rae wrote: "....in real life some won't go in (and worse, some won't come out again)."

If you'd have told me this a couple of years ago I'd have called you all kinds of not so flattering names.
However, it's true.

I have a Peavey T40 bass.
I also have a single George L plug that will go in, but has a devil of a time coming out.
Only that plug and that instrument combination (as far as I know).
Bizarre.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 7:57 am    

I don't use those cables, but I have run into this before with other plugs being too short to connect. I dunno if it's the plug shaft length or sleeve interference.

I still have a couple pieces of gear that won't accept GL's. I know they are supposed to be the same size but all I know is they won't work sometimes.

I also know that all jacks are not the same either.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 29 Sep 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 8:23 am    

If I'm not mistaken, you owe M*****R Cables™®© $1000 for mentioning their name in public. You will be hearing from their attorneys.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 8:55 am    

I had a problem with the input jack on the Nux Atlantic. One "off brand" cable plug wouldn't fit.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 8:58 am    

I had a set of new patch cables for my PA that wouldn't conduct. After careful inspection I discovered a glue substance on the sleeve. Scraped it off with my pocket knife and was good to go. Can't remember the brand. And like Jerry posted had some that wouldn't fit the jack.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 9:42 am    

I've also experienced a few jacks that are tight enough that I don't use them with my only George L cable.

As for Monster cables...
The labeling of signal flow direction is indeed not a function of any physical properties. However, it's actually reasonably useful in that if you use it as labeled, it's one more way to determine which end or which cable is which when you're dealing with alot of cables and devices at once.

Ideally of course you've got your cables sized appropriately and neatly secured, but in reality, a marker indicating signal flow is not a useless feature.

As for Monster cables, I've found them to be durable and while there is no magic to them, the "monster bass" cables I've used for almost 2 decades are a wider gauge of copper than the standard cable and are always replaced no-questions-asked by Guitar Center on the rare occasion I broke on.

I probably wouldn't spend the extra $ to buy them now, but the ones I have (and which were purchased at a discount when a GC employee) I'm happy with.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 10:00 am    

I used a GeorgeL plugged into a Gretsch Bobcat Dobro last weekend, and couldn't get the jack out at the end of the gig.
I finally reefed on it as hard as I could and got it out.
I need to try another cable and see if it still works.
Wierd.

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 11:54 am    

The fit issue sounds like tolerance stack-up or one being out of spec. size altogether. I have had some cheap 1/4" adapters like this. They fit some things but not all.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 8:33 am    

I bit the hook like a dumb halibut and years ago bought a Monster Jazz guitar cable with an arrow for signal flow. I use the cable but hear no difference against any quality cable.

Also, there are differences in tolerance in 1/4 inch jacks. Case in point, I have an acoustic guitar with an endpin jack. Some cable jacks snap in and make good contact. Others are loose and make an intermittent connection. Go figure.... Whoa!

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 12:47 pm    

Some Hi Fi interconnect cables only have the shield connected at the source end so the direction labelling on the cable facilitates identification. No relevance on a guitar cable.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 4:04 pm    

A close well intended friend of mine, purchased about a dozen cheap Interconnect cables, of various lengths off of amazon.com. I think the packaging was worth more then the cables were. He connected his effect pedals up with them. He owned some rather inexpensive stomp boxes, but they worked ok. So he started playing, and buzzing, what a noisy mess. So yup....he started unplugging them one by one to ship back to amazon. He had a very cheap flanger pedal, i think it was a Nady or some other cheap knockoff. The plug just wouldn't come out. So he unscrewed the cheap medal cover on the male plug and cut the cable. Then he took a pair of small needle nose pliars and really gave it a tug. Seems the jack was connected right to the circuit board of the pedal. The jack, plug, jack nut, and circuit board chips all came out of that hole. He threw effect pedal, pliers, plug and all in the middle of his back yard. But hey.... by golly he got that plug out. Sad, funny but true story. He passed away recently, but we use to still sit around and laugh about that experience. I miss him dearly.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 4:25 pm    

Well, look at the bright side. If you can't even plug them in, they'll probably last a lot longer!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 4:26 pm    

LOL @ Donny...Funny Stuff

As a quick follow up: ya can git a real nice alessandro 20 Foot "Instrument Pro" Version Cable for a mere $2,000. Just chump change for most of'ya pro players out there. Now i dunno if it has them fancy arrows printed on it or not, but i betcha it won't be gitten stuck in there.

http://alessandro-products.com/instrument-cables

(Scrow to the bottom of the web page to the good ones don't even look at the cheap $400 ones)

HEY....i was actually reading about these cables and they really do have them little arrows printed on them to...i'll be danged...hehehehehe

Quote:
For best performance, use these cables with the arrows pointing the same direction as the signal flow (Instrument –> pedal effects –> amplifier.)

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 5:23 pm    

Thanks for Posting that link,
I don't Know how I have managed to make music without those cables or a $10000 amplifier.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2021 7:00 am    

I do have cables that are "directional". When plugging them into my Quilter amp either way sounds the same, but plugged into my friend's Twin Reverb, it makes a huge difference in sound. I don't know why.