The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CD Drive Cleaner Disc
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 9:06 pm    

Hey Forum Puter' Gurus,

Are those CD Rom cleaning CD's ok to use? I've heard pro's & cons on both sides. Most generally i just put a puff or two of canned air in there. I figure that should pretty much clean out anything laying in there dead or alive {Maybe i shouldn't even be a do'in that?}. I've read everything from.... they will scratch your laser, to.... the brushes on the disc come off and really mess the works up. So do they still use those, and sell'em? If so i'll order one, any recommendations? How do you guy's clean your CD Drives? Both my Computer Drives, and my Rack Mount Front Loading Drives?
Thanks George
{My Computer (mis)Use is Chronicled in "Computers For Complete And Utter Computer Challenged People" Chapter 45, 46, 47, 48, Page's 601-3406 Laughing

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 2:21 am    

Unless you are having a problem there is no need for any "cleaning". Rarely will a drive have a problem and if it does usually its at a point that it needs replaced.

I have drives that have burned hundreds of discs and there is no problems.

Years ago the "cleaning discs" were popular but for obvious reasons that fad has passed.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 11:08 pm    

Thank You so kindly Mr Stoner, you pretty much covered it all. I appreciate your help and recommendations.