The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss DD2
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 4:00 am    

My stomp box I use my wallwart for power, suddenly quit. If I just use the 9 volt battery it works. Not being handy with electronics, is this a “just throw it away” and buy a new one or can it be reasonably repaired?
Geo

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 4:02 am    

Try a different power supply.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 4:13 am    

Thanks Richard, I’ve tried that and the same “wallwart” on a different boss pedal, so it’s not the power supply.
Geo

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 8:11 am    

Looks like it isn't quite done yet, but is nearing the end of its useful life. You can use it for awhile, but you probably should have a backup for when it goes down.

Something that occurs to me is that some modern pedalboards have a power supply built in, enabling you to leave stompboxes connected all the time and just plug the power supply into a wall socket.

Forumite Mark "Socks" Besocke has a real nice multi-stompbox board. Maybe he can tell us about it. Winking

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 9:23 am    

If your pedal works with a battery, but not a wall wart, and if the wall wart works with other pedals, then the DC jack on your pedal has a problem. Likely just a fractured solder joint where the jack joins the circuit board, fixable with a soldering iron. Could also be a failed diode that requires replacement. But the simplest and cheapest solution is to use a battery. For $5 you can also get a converter cable that lets you attach your wall wart to the 9V battery snap inside the pedal, but you'll have to make a hole for the cable to enter the pedal's battery compartment. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotCBAT--truetone-1-spot-battery-clip-converter?