The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin Pedal?
Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:30 am    

I have a Deckley S10 with four pedals. I think the aftermarket pedal is called a Franklin pedal? Anyway, since I never use it, would it be possible to change it so that it lowers the G#s to a G? This would enable me to play minor chords at the same positions as the major chords when you use no pedals or knee levers, as if I picked up my middle finger of a barred E chord on a 6 string, which I am so used to doing. If possible and anyone thinks this is a bad idea, could I please get your input.

Thanx
J.D.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:58 am    

I also have and extra after market knee lever that I might be able to do this with instead, I rarely use that one either.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 4:53 pm    

If it's a standard Franklin pedal, it could be as simple as (i) tuning the nylon nuts so that instead of lowering G#'s a whole step (to F#) it lowers them only a half step (to G), and (ii) disabling the B->A lower, either by removing the additional hardware or by just loosening the nylon nut so it doesn't actually engage the changer at all for the B string.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:06 pm    

I Had that change on a bmi. It also makes a nice A7th when you step on 0 and the A ped together. Go for it😊

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 6:21 pm    

Thanks for the info. It's late, when I get downstairs tomorrow I will check the pedal and make sure whats what and carry on.
Thank You
J.D.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 6:14 am    

The Franklin pedal lowers string 6, G# to F# but does not affect string 3, G# at all. It also lowers string 5, B to A. Can I disconnect string 5 and use that to lower string 3 from G# to G?. I have not looked at the mechanics of it yet. I am new to all of this.
Thank You.
J.D.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 11:28 am    

Sucess, got it. It wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. Just tedious. I didn't flip the guitar over and was laying underneath her. I broke the cotter pin getting it out. Dropped the rod, figured out how to get it out and moved it over to the high G#. Had to move the bell crank a bit. The head of the screw that is in the crank is stripped and it is just snug. I was able to move it over. I ground the ball end off my 2.5mm allen wrench but it was still slipping. I have both G#s now dropping to G, but by then I was kind of beat so I haven't given it a go yet. I had to replace the cotter pin with a brad. Next time I have her upside down I will remove the screw and replace it and put a cotter pin in it.
Thanx guys.
J.D.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 7:22 pm    

Hi Jerry,
I am a fan of Dekley, also, having 2 of them. They do have their problems, when needing work, though. They use small set screws to hold the bell cranks on the cross shaft. Needing an allen wrench of 1/16", which is the smallest size, on a Dekley, followed by 5/64. However, if you have the time, I saw a suggestion to replace those set screws with 6-32 hex cap screws. That uses a 7/64 allen wrench and is easier to work with than the 1/16 Allen screws which strip easily.

And, if you want to try, use your extra knee lever to raise both Es to F#, That move comes in handy. Anyway, Luck on your work.....Pat.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 2:26 am    

Since this was an aftermarket Franklin pedal, the bell cranks were a bit different and instead of set screws they used metric cap screws needing a 2.5mm allen wrench. The head was stripped on the one I was working on and the ball end of the wrench would slip. I couldn't get the other end up in there. Knowing the ball end won't get the greatest grip I took two ball end 2.5mm wrenches that measured slightly different with my micrometer and ground the balls off them, but I could still not get a grip. 3mm was too big and with my imperial set, they were either too big or too small. I tried getting needle nose pliers up in there but no go. I got a bit tired laying under there for over an hour and just let it go, figuring next time I flip her over I will replace it and the cotter pin. At least my 50 plus years of being a machinist helped out. Kind of reminded me of working under cars in the back yard, those days are over lol. I haven't used the extra knee lever much. I think it only affects one string, will have to double check, if so, to do what you suggested I would need another rod which I don't have. Where does one get rods. I have read that bicycle spokes are used?

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 10:09 am    

I have used 1/8" brass rods from the hardware store. Since yours is aftermarket, it may be a different size. It is easy to tap the threads onto. Although it is a softer metal, it has held up pretty well and I have not any trouble with it.......Pat.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 3:09 pm    

Hey Jerry, having been under steels here’s a simple stand to put her upside down..room to pluck the strings while making adjustments.. Whoa! rods I use are SS 3/32 welding rods…

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2021 4:40 am    

Larry AllenHey Jerry, having been under steels here’s a simple stand to put her upside down..room to pluck the strings while making adjustments.. Whoa! rods I use are SS 3/32 welding rods…

Thanx all for the tips.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 10:29 am    

Ron Pruter wrote:
I Had that change on a bmi. It also makes a nice A7th when you step on 0 and the A ped together. Go for it😊

It makes a nice 7th no matter where you put her down. Just started fooling around with it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 10:52 am    

I have the Bb pedal next to the A pedal, but I still always get that minor with a half-pedaled A.

It's a skill you should learn! Cool

Because sometimes, taking the "easy way out" sometimes makes you a lesser player, and robs you of important skills.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 4:08 am    

I know how to get my other minors and their inversions. One thing this does for me is gives me the minor scale straight up the strings. Makes playing minor and blues scales much easier. As a guitar player of 58 years I don't need to look for an "easy" way out, just what is more familiar to me. The added 7ths it presents me is also quite useful. I don't play much country if any really so.. I write mostly in minor keys.