The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wound "A" string for C6th
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 6:44 pm    

Curious... does anyone use a wound "A" string?

I'm currently using .020 or .021 plain, but got to thinking perhaps a wound string would sound less plunky

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 2:14 am    

I just bought an 8 string lap steel. I have it tuned C6th with a high G like Pedal Steels. I used a set of Pedal Steel strings (what I had) and it tunes and sounds great (but I'm used to the Pedal Steel C6th sound).

I have it tuned (high to low) GECAGECA.

String Gauges .012, .014, .017, .020P, .024W, .030W, .036W, .042W.

I retuned it to E13 and no problem with the string gauges.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 4:51 am     Wound string

On my 6 string C6 tuning i am using a wound 2nd and 3rd string.I find it gives me a warmer sound or tone.That,s just MY preferance. Smile
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 7:56 am    

On some pedal steels there are mechanical considerations, but on your lap it's personal taste. Try it. I assume it's legal.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 8:07 am     Wound string

Very Happy It's legal,lol
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 8:47 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
On some pedal steels there are mechanical considerations, but on your lap it's personal taste. Try it. I assume it's legal.

I heard there is a bill in congress now that will ban the use of a wound string on the (4th string) A on the C6 tuning. Punishment for that crime will be 8 solid hours of listening to Florida Georgia Line. So, use at your own risk. Shocked Whoa! Laughing

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 8:50 am     wound string

Whoa! OH NO Not another bill ,LOL Laughing Laughing

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 9:13 pm    

I’m not a fan of a wound A on non-pedal steel, because I pull strings behind the bar a lot and need a plain string to pull a half step up to Bd and sometimes a full step up to B.

Also, the more plain strings you have, the less bar hiss there is to worry about. With this in mind, I briefly used a .024 plain for my G, as Jerry Byrd did, but moved back to a wound .024 G as the plain was just a little too “ping-y” sounding for my tastes. Having that many plain strings was great for artificial harmonics, though. They rang out loud and true, with the perfect blend of attack and sustain.

Having a wound G# on pedal steel makes sense because it seems to pull up to pitch more in unison with the high G#-A pull, but without pedals that is a moot point! Some really great players have used a wound A on non-pedal, so give it a shot and see how you like it!

Everyone’s playing style is different, but for me it reminds me of when you try to play Chuck Berry licks on a round neck guitar with a wound third string… You just can’t do it the same way!

~Chris Scruggs~

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 12:12 am    

When I started out on pedal steel I had an old D10 and on the E9 the wound 6th sounded great.

When I swapped to universal I took it with me but in B6 it's the equivalent of the 4th string and it sounded and felt wrong. I remember thinking at the time "Of course, no-one would use a wound 4th on C6"!

On any instrument that uses plain and wound strings, the exact changeover point will be a matter of experiment.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 4:26 pm    

22 to 25 inch scales o.o22W

I've tried many times to go to a plain o.o22p (clunky sound and bad intonation) or worse even o.o20p (which sound a bit better than o.o22p but is so under-strung that intonation (among the much more appropriate tensioned stings will not holt intonation.

It's a very opinion infused subject.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Hideki Hattori

Tokyo, Japan
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 1:32 am    

I like wound A string. Because chimes (harmonics) on plain A sound dead.
20’s Weissenborn, 30’s Rickenbacher A-22 Frypan, 40’s Rickenbacher B7, 40’s Dickerson MOTS, 50’s National Grande Console D8, 50’s National Dynamic, 80’s Japanese Fender Stringmaster S8, Goldtone 8 strings resonator, 2019 Clinesmith Frypan 8, 2020 Clinesmith Frypan 7