The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sneaky pete gear question
Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:05 pm    

i have a question about sneaky pete’s guitar. he ran with two pickups and my question is what has to be done to add a second pickup? i have an extra and can rout the body without issue. can the pickup be used as is or does it need to be modified? i seem to remember reading about the polarity having to be the opposite. anyone have info or a wiring diagram. thanks.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 5:02 am    

Yes you rout out the extra space for the pickup. I believe Pete had some kind of blend control for his final two pickup configuration(he did have 3 for a while in the 70s-80s) and a switch for “out of phase”.
Lots more info can be obtained on FB where there is a more concentrated population of Fender geeks.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1648769605337317/?ref=share
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 6:25 am    

No, the pickup needs no modifications. The hardest part is the routing, mounting, and adding the switches/controls you want. The wiring will depend on what you're looking for as far as versatility (tonal variations). Additional tone controls may be added for the 2nd pickup, and a phase switch simply requires an additional DPDT switch. (The amount of phase difference will also vary with the distance between the pickups.)

Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 9:34 am     pete

i’m thinking i just want a 3-way toggle switch so in essence it’ll be the same as a telecaster; bridge-both-neck.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 10:27 am    

A blend control is about as easy to install and you can get a lot more sound variety from it if you really want to go for the Sneaky Sound. Of course, that’s not the only thing needed to get there.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 8:00 pm    

If you have two single coils, the top of the PU's should draw each other (magnetically.) This will give you a nice, quiet, humbucked sound. You can go for a series / parallel wiring. Series being more powerful. It would act as a nice little boost. If it sounds weak and nasal, (out of phase) just reverse the so wires on one of the PU's.
I recommend Stuart McDonald for single coil routing templates and bits. Good luck. Have fun. RP

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 8:13 pm    

FWIW they were not stock pickups. The final configuration had two stock looking pickups rewound by Seymour Duncan. they had more output while maintaining the sweetness.

Installing a second pickup is just like having 2 pickups on any guitar. And if they are out of phase you'll know it - the sound will be thin and tinny.

But before the Duncans there were times he used the newer Jaguar type pickups combined with custom winds - up to 4 pickups, plus a Roland guitar synth.

But he also ran them through several effects built into the guitar- very often using a subtle low octave and/or envelope filter, a Phase 90 and several different Chorus units over the years (plus more obvious ones like fuzz.) - and the didn't ue reverb. He used a tape Echoplex for years, later switching to Roland Space Echo units.

As mentioned above, though, a big part of his sound was the way he used a blend control - not a pickups switch.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 8:23 pm     400

i’ll give the blend control some thought. i have a few fenders and this is the one i play the most. it has a modified sneaky pete tuning and i just love it. it’s had knee levers and now it doesn’t. it had a half-stop for awhile too. easily the most fun guitar i’ve had. played thru either a 1962 fender pro or a morgan rca35. the best steel i’ve ever had.