The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Commander Cody (George Frayne) Passes Away At 77
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 4:41 pm    

Sadly George Frayne (Commander Cody) passed away this morning at the age of 77. I know there are lots of us country rockers from back in the day who are Commander Cody fans and got introduced to pedal steel listening to Bobby Black. Here's "Down To Seeds and Stems Again Blues" from a live tour with Bobby Black on steel. Rest in peace, Commander.

https://usdaynews.com/celebrities/celebrity-death/george-frayne-death/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3Jui4Kc7k

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 5:03 pm    

RIP Commander (George), a great singer artist and character, leader of one of the best bands of their era!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 6:36 pm    

RIP, George. Crying or Very sad

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 6:36 pm    

Crying or Very sad

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 2:07 am    

I am sorry to hear about George Frayne passing away. I've always enjoyed his music and I've gotten to see him live and he was a wonderful entertainer along with being a cool singer. My condolences go out to all of his family, friends and fans. May he RIP.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 3:07 am    

RIP. Him and his Lost Planet Airmen brought so much joy into my life in the seventies. Better times.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 3:15 am    

It was thanks to the Commander's inspired choice of steel player that I discovered the artistry of Bobby Black, who in turn helped to plant my obsession with PSG!

Will CC want to rest in peace, or to the sound of stride piano?

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 4:25 am    

George lived in the Upstate NY area for many years, around Albany and Saratoga Springs. At various times other members of his band wound up here: John Tichy and Billy C Farlow in particular. Bill Kirchen made regular stops in this area on his tours, too. Through my connections with NPR’s A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION I got to know fiddle/sax man Andy Stein. I saw the classic lineup(with Bobby Black) only once but had the privilege of playing music with all the others at one time or another. This is a shot from just a couple of years ago when Cody played in Troy NY. We had a blast and George was always very appreciative of my contributions. That meant I kept my ears open and didn’t mess things up too much…haha. Thank YOU, Commander!

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 7:57 am    

Oh no, i wrote him a letter when I was in my teens in the 80's . He answered my letter and sent me a button. He lived in Stinson beach CA then, i visited Stinson beach two years ago and had to think of him living there. So much joy with his music. May he rest in peace.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 9:54 am    

Cool shot K Maul, I recognize Mark Emerick on guitar on the far left. Great guy and also a steel player too.

Olaf, I went to Stinson Beach, 12 years ago when visiting my brother-in-lawn who lives in S.F., beautiful place, what I remember most was that a sperm whale had washed up on shore and the only thing left was his jaw and teeth, such a huge creature, interesting day for sure!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 10:15 am     Sad News

That is sad news. I always liked that band both with Bobby Black and when Ernie Hagar was with them.
We are getting to that age where seems like someone is called home just about every week now. Rolling Eyes
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

John Herb

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 11:47 am    

This caught me off guard for sure. Sad to hear about this may he rest in peace.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 2:24 pm    

Blue skies, Commander, rest in peace. Commander Cody and Bobby Black got me started down this road. I still listen daily via my Pandora Commander Cody station. Fun music!

Tom

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 2:37 pm    

Sad to hear . I spent many hours in the '70's listening to my Commander Cody LP's . Rest in Peace .

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 4:09 pm    

George Frayne and the Amblers were role models for this wide-eyed naif arriving in Ann Arbor in 1964. I bought my first electric guitar from John Tichy there, 1959 strat for $100.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 5:08 pm     George Frayne

A great performer, musician, bandleader and huge influence on me! "Long Live the Commander!"

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 6:46 pm    

Bon voyage to the Commander. He and the LPA were a huge influence on me from way back.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 8:04 pm    

The "Old Commander" sat in with our band, Dark Star, in the late 70's at Zaccariah's in Columbus. He was playing the Agora down the street and came over after his show to see us as we played 2 sets, the last ending after 1. He sat in on piano and we did "O Mama Mama" and "Too Much Fun" among others. We spent a few hours in the band room with him afterwards. What a character! It was a memorable evening. His band laid down some great swing/jump tunes with Bobby Black nailing it. My steel at the time was a '73 ShoBud D10 "The Professional," the same model Bobby played when he toured with the Airmen, and I really admired his sound.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 3:58 am    

Really sad news. I became FB pals with George a few years ago. When I lost my wife he sent me a bottle of fine whisky by way of condolence. A true gentleman.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 6:05 am    

Like many other ‘late 70s Steelers, the Commander and Bobby were true musical heroes to me. I never would have guessed I’d get to play with him- (Spirit of the Suwannee music Park in, I think, 2008.) A great musical memory for which I was very grateful!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 9:42 am    

Quote:
When I lost my wife he sent me a bottle of fine whisky by way of condolence. A true gentleman.

He was a wild man but had a good heart! I had the pleasure and honor of doing a handful of pickups gigs with him for almost half a decade, like a couple of times a year, and almost every time it was on my wedding anniversary. My wife would always say, "it looks like another anniversary with the Commander." So I would drag her along to the gig. One year we played the Palms in Winters...he bought us dinner and the Buckhorn Steakhouse across the street!

I've always been just a weekend warrior musician with a day job, and honestly he could have found some more suited for the job since I'm more of an E9 guy, but playing with him allowed me to to have a few "moments of glory" , like when he flew the band to Hawaii for a four night run all expenses paid( I was third call LOL! ), and the Waterfront Blues festival in Portland one year. Another highlight is when the the bass player called in sick and subbed out the gig to Buffalo Bruce Barlow. Backstage I got to listen to an hour or so of those two yukking it up about the good old daze and stories of the road! Good memories.

Here is the last time I saw him. We're playing Seeds And Stems in the photo. Thanks for the unforgettable memories George! RIP!

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 10:04 am    

Sad indeed...I enjoyed CC and LPA through the 70's and got to see them once in NYC...RIP and thanks for the great music..

Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 10:19 am     R.I.P Commander Cody

I will never forget those good old days around 1974. I would come home from work and listen to The commander and his Lost Planet Airmen on my brand new, purchased from Radio Shack, stereo with the turntable. I still sing and play on my
flat top, those old songs e.g. "Smoke Smoke Smoke That Cigarette" etc.
They were a great band. They had just the right blend of Rock & Roll, Country and Blues. At that time , I was sick of all the hippie music and all the drug culture that was played on the "Top 40" radio stations in Birmingham, Al.
He will be missed, for sure.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 10:35 am    

Big influence on me and my gang. Still have a cassette of him live. My buddy Don Curtis did some fill in gigs in St Louis with the Commander. Rip.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 2:15 pm    

Sad news! My long time Friend Bobby Black was with The Commander a few years. RIP Commander! Prayers for the Family and Friends