The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  KORG AT-12 TUNER - Manual? Info?
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 4:08 pm    

I prefer the older tuners with real needles. I have a couple of newer Korg chromatic tuners (LCA-120, and a new TM-60), but I keep leaning towards my old Korg WT-12.

So, I decided to "upgrade" from the WT-12 to an AT-12 so I don't have to keep changing the selector on the WT-12. I found one on eBay and bought it. It's in great cosmetic condition, and appears to work, but I've got some questions about it, especially calibration.

Does anyone here have and use an AT-12? If so, do you have an owners manual? I cannot find one online. I need to get a copy or a scan of a manual if possible.

No, I don't like the Peterson strobe type tuners - had one, but sold it.

Here is a pic of the one I bought off of eBay.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 28 Sep 2021 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 8:02 pm    

Brochure at http://www.korgforums.com/support/brochure/at-12_brochure.pdf , it may be enough to tell you what you need. There's also a previous thread on quick and dirty calibration at https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/009790.html . If you need the full service manual, these guys sell one for $9 plus $2 shipping: https://www.stereomanuals.com/man/rep/korg/index.htm

Last edited by Mike Auman on 28 Sep 2021 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:11 am    

if you are needing a tuner for live gigs...then get a new modern tuner.

but if you are looking for an old school VU type meter tuner, then in the old korg line you have the WT12 and the AT12 models. i dont like the AT. its not as sensitive as the WT, but yes it does have the automatic note selection, which i found not to be that great.

both of these have issues at their age with switch contacts and battery compartments.

make sure you get one with NO battery corrosion. you should not have to pay much for one either. $10-25 is all i will pay for the WT model. over the years, my friends have given me a few that dont work, so i have plenty of them and i have learned to fix some of the easy things that go wrong.

again....if you are gigging, then get a modern easy to see auto tuner, but if you are working at home and needing to do some precise tuning work then the WT first and the AT 2nd. expect issues with both due to age and wear.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:38 am    

I had both of those old Korg tuners.
Went to a Boss TU12, smaller to fit in my seat.

But ultimately to a Peterson strobe.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 6:45 am    

Thanks a lot folks.

Bill - All noted. Thanks. Last year, when I got back into steel guitar, I found and bought a couple of WT-12's. Neither of them worked right. No battery compartment corrosion. I bought a can of contact cleaner and worked the front slide switches while spraying cleaner liberally. It worked fine. Then, I sprayed the 1/4" jacks with cleaner, and cleaned them with a .22 caliber gun cleaning brush. That worked too. The .22 caliber brushes work perfectly for cleaning a 1/4" jack. After I cleaned them up and tightened up the battery contacts they both worked perfectly. I sold one, and kept one. I had one of these in the early to mid-80s, and I liked it a lot.

I followed some of the advice here and worked on the AT-12 I got yesterday. Cleaned the switches and jacks as I did with the WT-12, and calibrated it to A440. It seems to work quite well now. I matched up the tuning to the new Korg TM-60.

I'm keeping these old Korg tuners. I like the VU type meters. I keep my Korg LCA-120 flip top tuner in my pack seat. I haven't bothered to do it, but it's possible to program one set of tuning offsets into the little LCA-120. I'm going to do that too.

Thanks again. Ken

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 28 Sep 2021 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 6:59 am    

I like the VU meters, too. One TU-12H for home, and another in the briefcase.

There's a 43 year old Korg WT-10 stored away someplace. Does OK but the battery connectors stopped working long ago and hooking it it up to a wall wart just makes it all too clunky. Winking