The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp stand problem
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 5:52 pm    

This seems to be a very popular style stand, but for many amps, the arms are not long enough to keep the amp from tilting back too far and possibly damaging the speaker. Have any of you that use this stand come up with an extension of any sort?

Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 6:48 pm    

I have that stand. All my amps have at least some back so my speakers are safe. I could easily see an amp without any back tipping. The problem being with the angle of the stand, the height of the stand and amps being top heavy, the center of gravity is too high.

In short, the stand works but I don't fully trust it.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 8:08 pm    

Check the back of your amp.. By placing a cleat on each side inside the cabinet, And then adding a back with screws and decorative washers. (Leave about 3 inch ventilation slots at bottom and top of back). Would make the amp. steady on the stand and protect the Speaker.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 8:43 pm    

Roger, I have six of those stands that I have used at the shows & gigs a lot over the years.
Never had a problem one.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 1:43 am    

I use one like this. The extending pole in back should cover almost any combo amp. Was a bit tricky with a cabinet where the speaker jack is in the center back.

For tilting back floor-based amps, I use this guitar stand. Just put the stand backwards and nestle the point of the stand under the back lip of the amp. I use this with my DRRI.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 6:21 am    

I don't use a stand now, but I did for years.
Never had a problem.

Even with the Session 500 that has no cross bar on the back, the stand works fine.

What kind of amp are you having a problem with?
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 12:55 pm    

If it really is a problem just find some tubing of some sort to slip over the uprights.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 1:07 pm    

The reason for the question stems from a guitar player friend putting his Twin Reverb on that style stand. The tube/transformer weighting made it terribly top heavy and the bracing on the back of the amp was too high to have the arms support it. It almost fell into the supports, which would have been a nightmare. I personally don’t use that style stand.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 3:15 pm    

I've had several different amp stands, even built my own out of 1 inch square tubing, but for many years I have been using a camp stool. The wooden one that folds up with a canvas seat. Simple but effective. You can even turn it upside down if you want a tilt back.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 4:10 pm    

Roger Crawford wrote:
The reason for the question stems from a guitar player friend putting his Twin Reverb on that style stand. The tube/transformer weighting made it terribly top heavy and the bracing on the back of the amp was too high to have the arms support it. It almost fell into the supports, which would have been a nightmare. I personally don’t use that style stand.

What size was the stand? Fender sells an amp stand of that style in 'large' size intended to hold amps up to 68kg, which is more than twice the weight of a current production Twin Reverb - https://www.fender.com/en/accessoriesstands/fender-amp-stand---large/0991832003.html - I'd be surprised that Fender would sell an amp stand for large amps that doesn't support a Twin Reverb.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 4:10 am    

Pull the upper angled part out and rotate 180 degrees. That'll change the center of gravity. I had to do that to support my Twins.

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 5:51 am    

Cut a piece of plywood the height you need to reach the top of your amp, or do like I did and get a different stand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LCFRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 6:16 am    

Poor boys have poor ways... I found pine to provide the best overall sound for this application..

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 8:40 am    

Bill, black pine would sound better!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 8:50 am    

Roger wrote:
Bill, black pine would sound better!

LOL.. you're probably right.

I just realized, inquiring minds might want to know what's up with two steel guitars. We were opening for Charley Crockett, and that's my pal Nathan Fleming's wrap setup behind me. #6, it sounds great.. and Nathan of course kills it every show.

Coincidentally, you can see his old Session 400 (with Peavey labeled JBL) leaning back facing him, and I'm pretty sure his tilt-back system is a pretty similar design to mine. Smile

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 2:59 pm    

Bill Terry wrote:
Poor boys have poor ways... I found pine to provide the best overall sound for this application..

Gary Carpenter uses a plastic bar table ad holder that he steals off a table.
An endless supply......lol

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 5:54 am    

Along the lines of Bill Terry's post; I use 'Amp Wedge's. They are as indicated, wedges made of a hard rubber like material, the tilt angle being adjusted by the amount of the wedge that is placed under the amp.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 6:03 am    

Alternatively, I keep a big roll of duct tape in the back of one of my amps to prop it up. Cheap, effective.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 6:50 am    

Chris wrote:
Gary Carpenter uses a plastic bar table ad holder that he steals off a table.

LOL... Carp is a smart guy! Smile

Dan wrote:
Alternatively, I keep a big roll of duct tape in the back of one of my amps to prop it up. Cheap, effective.

I like that idea! Then you also have something to repair stuff if needed.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 5:17 pm    

Pull the stand out of its socket and turn it around. this levels the Stand , problem solved.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 10:21 pm    

This is what I use. Got it at Dollar General.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 10:45 am    

I have a couple stands like those in Roger's link but I only use them for 12" cabinets or my midi rig. I wouldn't even sit my NV400 on that type of stand.

The metal is thin and weak where the bends are. I've had to have both of mine welded up where the metal has split.

I can't imagine having a Twin that high up even if I could pick it up that high. Too much bulk and weight for anything except a very sturdy and bulletproof stand.

The newer tilt back stands that sit on the floor would be a better choice IMO.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 12:14 pm    

Fender style tilt back legs accomplish both decoupling (bass frequencies) and aiming the speaker at your head. They are stable and convenient. You can buy them online and put them on any combo type amp.

I haven’t tried the Standback, but it looks like it would accomplish the same thing for 1x12 combos http://www.standback.net/

I don’t think open back amps were meant to be set up in empty space on a stand, especially outdoors or inside large venues. And the sound you hear from them when they are set flat on a stage floor is not the truth, unless you’re playing your guitar while standing on your head.

I used to use one of the fork-back style stands pictured in the OP with my 75-pound Mesa Boogie combo. With the forks reversed, it sat pretty level and stable.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 7:39 pm    

The reason i stopped using amp stands especially the ones in the top photo, is because i have found most to be way wayyyy top heavy (except for bob's of course). Seen a drummer brush up against the backside of one of those black ones, and it was an instant repair bill for the guitar player. I dont like'em. I use a milk crate.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 6:31 am    

I just set mine on my steel case. When room permits I try to get some room between my speakers and me.