The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Believe He's Coming Back
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 6:51 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMuFX5M7kG0&list=UU4LUGhKbANu-psu7Ont0Tag&index=1
Rusty Goodman was a great gospel song writer and singer. About every song he wrote became a hit. I have always liked the melody line as well as the message in this song. John Hughey played steel guitar on the recording. Sorry about the mistake at 1:31 into the video. I hit one too many strings.

Josh Moss

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 8:02 am    

Sounds great, Paul!
Fender Silverface Twin
Peavey Nashville 400

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 1:41 pm    

The Happy Goodman Family were my all time favorites. They always had a band. None of the singing to tracks that a lot of the gospel groups do now. I've got mixed feelings on that. I understand why they do it, but I just can get interested in listening to it.

Great playing as usual. I don't know why you even mentioned the 1:31 issue. I think it might be one of those things that the player senses, but no none else does. I make plenty of the kind of mistakes that stick out like a sore thumb, nothing so subtle in my playing. Smile Always look forward to seeing you post a new song!

RC

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 1:50 pm    

Thank you John. Rick, The Happy Goodmans are at the top of my list as well. The had great singing, great bands and Rusty was an excellent writer. The Hinsons were my all time favorite. Like the Goodmans they had great singing, great bands and 3 brothers that wrote their material. All of the Goodmans have passed on and Larry and Kenny Hinson have passed as well. Both families put out some great material.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 2:33 pm    

Paul King wrote:
Thank you John. Rick, The Happy Goodmans are at the top of my list as well. The had great singing, great bands and Rusty was an excellent writer. The Hinsons were my all time favorite. Like the Goodmans they had great singing, great bands and 3 brothers that wrote their material. All of the Goodmans have passed on and Larry and Kenny Hinson have passed as well. Both families put out some great material.

I agree. The Goodman's and The Hinsons were my favorites too. I've never heard anybody that liked one that didn't like the other. The Hinsons and Goodman's were the first I heard to do the stacked endings on songs. So powerful. Also, Dottie Rambo was such a great one. Her songs were so simple (I Just Came To Talk With You Lord) yet said so much. I've heard a lot of her material and thought "why didn't I think of that".

Vassar Clements was a good friend. He had the idea to do some of the gospel songs with parts on multiple fiddles, with the fiddles doing the different parts. We talked about the stacked endings. I think it was a good idea. I don't know if it would have worked or not because we never got around to doing it.

Keep that good tone and tasteful playing coming.

RC

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 5:43 pm    

Thanks Rick. I love Dottie Rambo material just as much as the others. They had a unique sound and Johnny Cox played steel for them years ago. There have been many great groups down through the years that I enjoyed. The Hinsons, Goodmans and Rambos were the top three.