The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fake SM57
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 9:17 am    

There are videos on YouTube about how to spot a fake/counterfeit SM57 mic. I happened to see a couple such videos recently and then looked at my SM57, and sure enough it's almost certainly not a real Shure mic.

I had wondered why my 57 was so bright and harsh, and why it had more hiss/noise than other dynamic mics I have. I was looking at videos thinking maybe I could put in a new cartridge, or do some sort of repair. That's when I learned I had been suckered by a deal on a used 57 that was too good to be true.

It's no wonder I always preferred a Sennheiser e609 over my SM57. Now I want to hear a real Shure 57.

Those fakes are out there. Be knowledgeable when shopping for a SM57. You want the real thing.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 9:21 am    

The e609 is what I carry. Great mic.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 10:09 am    

Yup, I would not buy a used 57 unless it was from someone I knew well and knew where they got it. I mean, they're not exactly expensive - $99 brand new every day at any of the big-box stores, and they go on sale for $80-90 pretty routinely.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 4:54 am    

Thanks for the heads-up. I recently purchased a new SM57 off eBay for an amazingly low price, so now I'm skeptical of its authenticity. The thing is, it performs as well as my other 57 -- which was purchased late in the last century from one of the big-box stores. For how long have the counterfeit 57s been marketed?

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 10:54 am    

I can't say when the fakes started. All I know is from those videos on YouTube. My fake 57 hisses more than normal and is brighter sounding to the point of being harsh. The fakes just don't sound quite right. If yours sounds just like a genuine 57, then it probably is the real deal.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 11:18 am    

It's very strange....

You can buy Chibsons, Chenders, Chetsches,and Chures all day long, but NONE of those sellers will accept counterfeit money for their fakes. Winking