The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuners
Jim Napier

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 1:25 pm    

Hi folks. I am a novice to this and just received my Hudson pedal steel today. Do you recommend any digital/electronic tuners for E9? Thanks.

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 1:32 pm    

Welcome Jim,

You're just starting out, don't hesitate to simply tune off a phone app to 440hz straight. If you already have a tuning pedal for tuning guitar, that works fine. I also have tuned off the little clip-on Snarks when I was starting out.

Eventually, you will want to get yourself a tuner that will allow you to either program or download sweetened tunings. I used a Peterson Strobostomp Classic, there are a other options out there - most prefer the Peterson brand tuners for steel.

Jim Napier

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 1:35 pm    

THANK YOU!

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 1:40 pm    

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/

Strobe tuner app is a good way to get started.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 4:35 pm    

For the most part, I still use an antique Korg WT-12, but I also use a Korg TM-60 - Link below - and a Korg LCA-120 flip top tuner. These are great tuners for newbies. They don't cost a lot, and they also do the job accurately.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/korg-tm-60-tuner-metronome/k58710000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXMG&msclkid=3d4a164b057f17c7949a7704bac984bc&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20NonTM%20-%20MPN%20-%20Accessories%20-%20Other&utm_term=Korg%20TM60BK&utm_content=Korg%20%7C%20TM60BK%20%7C%20%2422.99

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 7:29 am    

I'm with Ken. The Korg tuners don't have all the presets but is simple to use, affordable and as far as sweetened tunings there are a bunch out there posted on the forum. Learning how you want the guitar tuned and learning the pitch you like is a personal thing.
I like Jeff Newman's Tuneitup adjusted tuning as a reference.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 11:08 am    

Here is a tuning chart I made up using the Jeff Newman temper tuning preset recommendations. I've been using this method for years - works for me.

This should be helpful for the original poster who is just getting started. Using this, along with a chromatic tuner should be rather easy. A small, compact, chromatic tuner such as the Korg TM-60 (combo tuner and metronome) will work fine. They can be found at Amazon or on eBay stores (new).

This chart is posted as a jpg file, so it should be easy to copy/paste to a Word document or something else and print it off. You can scale it to whatever size you like too. Print it on card stock, or have it laminated if you desire.

NOTE: The chart I previously posted had an error on the 2nd string RKR. This one has been corrected.

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 27 Oct 2021 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Jim Napier

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2021 1:42 pm     Android PSG Tuner Apps

Are there any good tuners out there for Android phones? I just tried to buy the Peterson app and I can't use it on my android phone. Thanks.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2021 3:18 pm    

I found a few that were decent on the Google Play Store for Android. There are a bunch of them there. I downloaded about 8 of them, went through them, and found 2 or 3 I like. Some have so many pop-up ads that they are annoying. Some not. I already shut down my cell phone for the night, or I could give you some names to look for. I'll power it back up and get back with you.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2021 3:31 pm    

Here you go. These are the names of the apps that show up on my phone:

- Guitar and Violin Tuner

- Tuner - Pitched

- Chromatic Tuner

- Fine Chromatic Tuner

- Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner (My least favorite of the bunch)

All of the above seem to work quite well, but I use my regular tuners - mainly my old Korg AT-12. I've tuned with a tuner, then double checked with the cell phone apps, and they appear to be accurate. I suggest looking at a Korg TM-60 on Amazon.com or eBay - around $20, and it's a nice little tuner with a decent screen (2 light levels, or no light) and it doubles as a metronome to help you with timing.