The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shipping cost $$$up$$
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 6:25 am    

The UPS and FedEx prices are getting more Expensive an they just announced another 8% increase coming soon.

I'm thinking we are paying for Amazon's bargain shipping an some free shipping costs.

Here's a example I quoted the buyer in Seattle $150 for shipping a 50 pound single neck steel in case for $150. I was a little shocked when my shipping cost was over $248 dollars.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 7:16 am    

Johnie, it's always cheaper to take it directly to a UPS terminal, rather then a UPS store location. Although you need to have all the packing finished to do that. The UPS stores are not owned by UPS, they are franchisees. That said, I have not shipped a guitar in a while, but I know the cost is higher now.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 7:25 am    

The USPS prices mirror UPS/FEDEX prices. I've sold a lot of stuff in the last year, downsizing, and comparing UPS/USPS prices many times the USPS price was higher.

The high shipping and packaging costs, plus the danger of damage in shipping, I've specified pick up only on the two D-10's I've sold. It limits potential buyers but I can accept that.

I haven't had an Amazon delivery by UPS for a long time. In my area there are Amazon's own trucks that deliver.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 7:45 am    

Thanks Bill an Jack very good points.

I use too build a shipping crate an line with foam but the price of plywood and added shipping weight is too costly know.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 9:07 am    

Gone are the days when we could just put it on a Greyhound bus and send it to any bus station across the country for $15-$20.

Oh Well

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 2:10 pm    

It used to be that I could ship a banjo cross country for a hundred bucks or less including insurance. Anymore, it's double that or more. Shipping instruments other than maybe ukes or piccolos is getting to be cost prohibitive. It's a shame, but I guess it's just what it is nowadays. Most of the selling I've been doing has been local any more.

Dave

Rick McNamara

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 3:18 pm     Shipping Costs

Howdy,

I use UPS to ship my guitars and I have UPS pick up the packaged guitar from my house. Like has already been said the price has gone down significantly over using the UPS stores.

It costs me $10-12 to have them pick up the guitar and around $145-$160 to ship to Georgia, Arizona, or California. That’s cost for a Bud S-10, or SD-10, or enough parts to build (2) 8 string Fender PSG’s.

I don’t build the crates that Johnie is so good at, but I do use heavy duty cardboard, line all my guitar cases with closed cell foam (1/2-1” thick) and do a cutout for the handle in the top!

My packaging is reusable and I tell folks if you don’t need it, send the packing back to me at my expense!

I’m doing a Bud S-10 guitar now that I built a foam lined box for the guitar only (I have pedals and bars and legs) sent it to the customer for $40 and he packed the guitar in it and sent it to me for $60.

One full size Bud SD-10 case/box combo has been to Georgia and back twice and is good for more.

I originally got my idea from Dan Kelly back east! He builds an awesome cardboard and foam box!👍

So Johnie, you may have to cut back from your furniture quality wood shipping containers to heavy duty cardboard and foam!😂

Rick

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 7:12 pm    

Cool

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 29 Sep 2021 10:03 am; edited 4 times in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 2:10 am    

I have both UPS and FedEx accounts. When I compare prices on packages, UPS is always less than FedEx.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 10:11 am    

Yes I had a account with FedEx also.

An each month that I got my credit card Statement FedEx would add extra charges from $10 too $20 dollars each time they delivered my customers steel.
Needless too say I closed my account with FedEx.
Pretty close too illegal when you're credit card don't match your receipt in FedEx's favor.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 10:36 am    

I also have a FedEx account and do my own packaging, lable printing and delivery to a FedEx drop-off location.

I've had a couple of the up charges Johnie is refering to, but it was for delivery to rural locations where FedEx had to do a "dead-head" delivery (nothing else being delivered in that area).

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 12:53 pm    

Not just shippers but a lot of things are going up these days Sad

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 8:45 pm    

They're all ridiculous. It seems we are stuck. Sometimes the best option is to load it in your car and meet a prepaid or committed buyer. I have driven a couple hundred miles at times like that. Gas has gone up too, but it's still cheaper than the freight companies.

For long distances, I don't know of any good alternatives for shipping steel guitars. I haven't shipped any recently through the agents.

I have sent out several other items though and there are a few options for those.

I try to shop for the best rate for my buyers and my convenience and pack everything myself. Sometimes packing supplies put me in the hole though.

Many items can be sent via USPS flat rate if they fit in a particular size USPS provided box. Weight not considered in charge.

Depending on your pkg. destination, zip codes etc., some pkgs. qualify for regional rate A or B size USPS provided cartons at about 15% less than reg priority mail. Long and remote distances don't qualify I believe and you must order the boxes from USPS online. There's no charge for those though. Not all cartons are free, but there are several sizes you can order at no charge and shipped free through a USPS account.

All really heavy and bulky pkgs. get packed by me and hand delivered to the FedEx regional depot. That eliminates at least one handling transfer. It's about a 10-12 mile round trip but it's worth it to me and I've never had one problem with them in over 20 yrs of use.

There's a UPS store right around the corner from me, but I've given up on them. Every time I go online to their own freight calculator, when I get there they always round up the dimensions or come up with some reason it costs more that I quote the buyer.

I'm tired of arguing with them so it's either P.O. or FedEx.

Their regional depot is really a pain and inconvenient for me, so I don't use it.

One thing drives another however. Look at the higher prices of used pedal steels, accessories and parts. It's all over the moon.

I never thought I see the day $2500 would be considered a bargain price for a D10 pedal steel. Anything less and it's a frenzy around here akin to Black Friday at Wal-Mart with buyers piling on.

Obscene as they are, shipping costs are just keeping up with the rest of the industry increases as John stated earlier. You shouldn't expect less.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 9:15 pm    

I have used Greyhound to ship and receive several amps and one steel with never an issue. Been a while but last time I used them they were a good bit cheaper than the Big Three and faster arrival time….also far less handling and switching at 25 different hubs, etc means less chances of damage.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 5:06 am    

You can save on shipping insurance by using your musical instruments insurance policy if you have one.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 5:56 am    

If you are a AAA member you get 5% discount at UPS stores on shipping.

Not much but every little bit helps.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 9:33 am    

Bob your right a lot of the steel players in Nashville
Have insurance an they can ship with out fretting over possible damages.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 11:31 am    

I just checked with the bus station here in Houston.
To ship a guitar from Houston to Corpus Christi I was quoted 73.62. They will not ship anything with a declared value of over 1000 dollars.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 1:09 pm    

Shipping to and from Hawaii and Alaska the USPS Priority have (have been) the best prices , insured and 3-5 days to the mainland…I’ve sent over a dozen S 10’s..in the last 10 years.. Shocked

Bob Guichard

Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 8:30 pm     Shipping $$$$

May 2021 Legrand ll Waco Tx-Nashville, $132 UPS
and I packed it. Insurance was a big part of it.