The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Treasure Coast, FL players, jams?
Ron Hall

Montpelier, VA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 3:19 am    

I’m in Vero Beach but so far no luck finding other steel players to share ideas with or steel-friendly jams nearby. I play in a couple bluegrass jams but looking for something I can take the PSG or electric guitar to. I’m willing to drive to Melbourne or Palm Beach, etc on a regular basis or occasionally Orlando or Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks,

Ron

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 6:48 am    

Sadly, to my knowledge, almost all of the steelers in that area have passed on.

There are quite a few up in the Orlando, Jax, Tampa areas.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 7:57 am    

Ron there quite a few of us closer to the Gulf coast. I'm in Brooksville Florida. There are Steel jams in Lake Panasoffkee that start in November. It's a long ride for you but it's something. It's held on the second Tuesday of the month.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 8:42 am    

Steeler Connie Burton is in Sebastian.
She is active in bands up the coast.
I don't have any contact info on her but she is on Facebook.

She used to come to some of our Florida Steel Guitar Jams. Long trip but it didn't bother her. She plays a JCH steel.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 10:06 am    

Wow, I had forgotten about Connie.

A great player and a great person.

I have her contact info, if you want to PM me.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 11:40 am    

Dave O'Brien isn't far from Vero Beach; Okeechobee, I believe.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 12:46 pm    

Ken from the Ft Lauderdale area, here where I've been live for the last 27 years, country music is over, gone, DOA. There's one or two so called "Country" bands that play mostly country/southern rock, no steel or fiddles needed.

Blue Grass is dying also.

Back in 1994 there were about 10 steel players in my area including Miami, there were about about 15 country bands and lots of clubs & bars.

Today, there are no more country music clubs or bars that feature country music.

Today it looks like I'm the only one still breathing, most have died or move outer of state.

Anyone memeber in Forum land knows of any steel players in my area please let me know.

West Palm Beach County is another area that's in question. I know of no pedal steel players living in that county.

Ron Hall

Montpelier, VA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 2:42 am    

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I play in a few local bluegrass jams. Along with blues, Americana and jam bands seem to be popular here. Not so much country. But I'm open to anything where a steel might be welcome.

I'm relatively new to the PSG and have been driving over to the west coast to take lessons with forum member Don Sulesky about once/month. So Ben, maybe I can time it so I can stay for the jam at Lake Panasoffkee.

Sebastian is less than 20 minutes and Okeechobee is less than an hour from me so it would be great to meet up with Connie and/or Dave to pick some and share ideas, etc.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 4:22 am    

Ron I'll send a PM with my info and Dennis Fox' info. Dennis and Nick Reed manage the steel jams. There are usually five to seven steel pickers and a good back up band.

Ron Hall

Montpelier, VA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 5:36 am    

Thanks, Ben!

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 4:11 pm     lesson

Ron
I'll see you on the 27th.
Don

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 7:14 am    

Hi Ken, I live in Cooper City and would love to meet you.

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).