The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar rental wanted - Colorado
Daniel McCombe

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 3:15 pm    

Hey y’all,
It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here. Unfortunately had to sell my gfi and Fessenden. I’m recording and would like a PSG but don’t have the dough re mi for a psg rn. Anyone have any leads to an s 10 rental? Open to paying shipping. If someone has something inexpensive that plays and stays in tune like a carter starter. I’d be interested as well.

Thanks!

Scott Spanbauer

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 2:42 pm    

I have a Fessenden SD-10 I've been thinking about selling, but I might be open to renting it.

You can hear it on this recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJM8_03rPc
(Tuning issues are not the guitar, but the novice player and a non-sweetened tuning.)

What do people think about renting guitars? What's a good rate, and how would I be protected from loss/damage?

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 5:07 pm    

Could you charge full price on a credit card then buy guitar back at a discount upon safe return?

Or hold collateral (guitars, amps) until safe return?

Rental rate? $100/day maybe

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2021 7:42 pm    

I think I would want to be the "roadie" for my guitar, at the show it was being played in/at, and always have the guitar in my possession when it wasn't on stage. I'm sure there are other ways to do it and protect your investment but this is the only way I would do it.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:36 am    

Rent to buy? Seven easy payments of 19.99 plust 1200.00 shipping and throw in a set of finger pics?

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 5:39 am    

Mike McBride wrote:
Could you charge full price on a credit card then buy guitar back at a discount upon safe return?

Or hold collateral (guitars, amps) until safe return?

Rental rate? $100/day maybe

If it takes two day there and back plus one day of use, totaling five days, would that be 100 or 500?

Scott Spanbauer

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 9:42 am    

Andy Vance wrote:
I think I would want to be the "roadie" for my guitar, at the show it was being played in/at, and always have the guitar in my possession when it wasn't on stage. I'm sure there are other ways to do it and protect your investment but this is the only way I would do it.

Depending on where the studio is, this is not a bad idea. I can also rent a rehearsal space with a PA. This semi-retirement thing could end up paying off.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 6:03 am     Stop Loss contracts clauses

Quote Scott Spanbauer:

What do people think about renting guitars? What's a good rate, and how would I be protected from loss/damage?

-----------------------------------

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY. These are just thoughts and not advice:

It seems to me: Like a rental car contract, or contracts for a myriad of rental items (such as but not limited to hotel / motel rooms, tools, equipment, musical instruments & equipment, etc); If you include 'loss & repair of damage' ('Stop Loss' Clause or Rider) charged to the credit card required as method of rental payment, ...then any loss or damage could be charged to the credit card used for payment without further consent from the person renting.

There are a number of websites that have a myriad of fill-in-the-blanks legal contracts, usually in downloadable .pdf format, and sometimes in other document formats. BUT you would still need an attorney to review and likely edit such contract forms to ensure the contract suits / serves your specific rental business; And an intial consult with an attorney is almost always free of charge, so a person learns / knows what would be involved (including fees) for the attorney to tweak or write a contract to suit / serve a specific business. Those free 'first consult visits' also serve for a client and/or attorney to see if they can
& will likely serve each other well (are or are-not compatible for a number of reasons).

You might also find a music instrument store close-by that rents instruments, and go get a copy of their rental contract, ...to get ideas for your own business planning.

Very Best Wishes,

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus

Roy Thomas

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2021 4:09 pm    

actually, you need to state your range of affordability.
you might be surprised that you can find what you need. have you tried reverb?
i have 3 lefties that are going at cost, 1200 dollars, all new old stock pedalmaster/gfi parts.
i made and sold a d10 for 1200, was asking 1500 but it was a young player, trying to help him out.
i made a few laps & consoles and a couple of 6 banger pedal steels.
if you never ask, you may never receive.
i actually have some right hand bodies build by mark giles that will be used in the future.
all the above said, i build at a whim, i am retired and just trying to recover material costs left over from pedalmaster, better than letting it go to making beer cans.