The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for my late Father's pedal steel!
Skyler Klontz

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 7:59 am    

Hello everybody. If this is against the rules feel free to delete it, i am just trying to call on some help from the industry. My dad passed away recently and I am trying to hunt down his old steel guitar. It was a double necked derby steel that he deemed the "holy cow". The only lead that I've got is he dropped it off with somebody for repairs or a complete rebuild near the tennessee area. Pictures are for reference and if anybody has any information please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you

I can not post pictures until someone replies. Once I get one I will post a few references pictures.

Last edited by Skyler Klontz on 24 Sep 2021 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 8:44 am    

Good luck with the search, and here's the reply to get you started!

Skyler Klontz

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 9:04 am    

Thank you!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 9:50 am    

I remember that guitar from when Charlie was building it. I know forum member Chubby Howard played one like that. I thought this one was it.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=317397&highlight=chubby+howard

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 24 Sep 2021 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 9:51 am    

Hi Skyler,I'm glad to see you made over here to post. Good luck again.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 10:42 am    

Jerry, that’s the only one and same guitar. If I remember correctly, Troy brought that particular mica to the shop and whenever the guitar was finished, Troy took the remainder of the unused mica back home with him.

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 4:17 pm    

Well, it look's like it's been found.

Bill.

Skyler Klontz

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 4:48 pm    

Have to try to get in touch with chubby to see if he still has it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 7:23 pm    

Yes Jerry, Troy had a few guitars over the years. As you know, when B&D changed set decorations, Charlie would build a guitar to match the set.

I know of a teal one and a couple others offhand. Back in the day Brooks and Dunn had a heavy tour schedule and the gear got a lot of use.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 6:15 am    

Hi Skyler,
I just saw this about Chubby Howard.
Maybe a lead for you to contact him.
Best of luck finding your Dad’s guitar!
Lee

https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/95-year-old-steel-guitar-legend-preparing-for-annual-show/

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 7:39 am     Exclusive Maple Destined For Gibson In “The Holy Cow”

Skyler, first and foremost, my condolences for the loss of your dad. Here’s a little info on your dads “Holy Cow” guitar or as I referred to it, “The Milk Cow” . I wanted to paint the knee levers pink however, Troy thought that would be going too far😂. A good friend of mine, Mike Hill from VA, is Gibson’s main supplier of maple for their exclusive “artist” series and reissue vintage Les Pauls. Mike sources maple trees from all over the country, hauls them back to his sawmill, cuts them into the appropriate sizes and air drys it in his barn for a specified amount of time. Charlie and I traveled to Mike’s sawmill and barn in VA. which wasn’t very far from my home at the time in eastern KY. We spent several hrs. looking through stacks of birdseye maple, curly maple and hard rock maple being dried in Mikes barn. I hand picked the nicest hard rock maple with the straightest grain that I could possibly find. It was enough to build 10 or 12 guitar cabinets and it was from that maple that your dads guitar was built. The 2nd or 3rd guitar following “The Holy Cow” was a black mica D10, built from the same wood that belonged to me. I haven’t seen Mike Hill who is lovingly called, “The Maple Man” since I moved to TN. and FL. but as far as I know, he is still the primary supplier of maple for Gibson’s exclusive Les Pauls. I hope that everything goes well for you in your quest to gain ownership of your dad’s guitar. Once again, please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your dad.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 10:55 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=373942

Skyler Klontz

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 12:05 pm    

UPDATE

For anybody interested, I chatted with Chubby this morning! He did confirm that him and my dad actually traded steels once again in 2019 or so to get my dad his holy cow back. While this is encouraging news it also means I am sort of back to square one on the hunt. I am still looking around at steel guitar repair shops or modification because its possible he wanted to have different tuning installed once he got it back but I'm not positive. I know chubby said once he got it back my dads face told him he wouldn't let it go again. If anyone has any more information as of this point I'm still absolutely open.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!