The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Troy Klontz
Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 9:34 am    

I just heard that Troy Klontz had passed away. Can anyone confirm this? Troy played steel for Roy Clark for 10 years and then Brooks and Dunn for many years.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 4:09 am    

This was confirmed by a friend on Facebook. RIP Troy.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 6:37 am    

This is sad news, such an nice guy.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 7:09 am    

Sad news, indeed. Troy was a great guy and a friend. On more than one occasion, I was his backstage guest at Brooks & Dunn concerts. My thoughts and prayers are with Troy’s family.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 7:51 am    

Oh man I hate to hear this. Troy and I both grew up in Claremore, Oklahoma, and he was an excellent player when he was a little kid and his dad had to carry and set up his guitar for him. I took my steel out to his house one night for a jam when he was about 12 years old and he blew me away with his playing, he could play nearly every song Lloyd Green ever recorded, note for note. We had connections other than music, Troy's mother and I worked for the same company for about 3 years and his dad and my dad both worked for American Airlines. This is so sad, Covid has definitely touched all our lives.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 4:46 pm    

I am sorry to hear of Troy passing. I was a country music student at Claremore junior college from 1974 to 1976. Some of the students would jam outside the dorms and Troy brought his steel to the college and sat in. He was just a teenager at the time, maybe 14 to 15, and he played like a seasoned veteran. I remember once he took a few of us to someone's home shop where a Clark pedal steel was being built to show us the guitar. I didn't get to know him well but I remember what a talented player he was, and a nice young man.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 5:52 am    

Sad news. I remember Troy from years ago playing with Roy on the Hee Haw show. I always admired his playing. Also with Brooks and Dunn.

He was at the Derby factory a few times here in KY to see Charlie, his "Stepp" daddy. I missed meeting him every time though.

He must have started playing with Roy Clark at a young age.

RIP Troy. Condolences Skyler, to you and the family.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 6:39 pm    

Just had a player tell me about losing Troy...such a great person, see you soon Brother!

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 7:49 pm    

I was playing for Gary Allan in support of Brooks and Dunn when the endplate-mounted neck selector switch broke off my steel in the case. Troy was kind enough to offer me the use of his Derby for our set, a kindness I'll always remember. RIP, Troy.