The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National New Yorker history
Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 6:30 am    

If there’s anybody out there who needs a pick up cover from a 40s national New Yorker, I have it.

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 6:10 am    

Interesting history here.

I own 2 ‘39 New Yorkers - a 6-string and a 7-string.

Interesting to see the pickup covers / handrests on these.

My 6-string features a stamped brass cover for the over-string Valco pickup. With National stamping lots of metal bodies for its resonators, I imagine these pickup covers just got added to their production.

The 7-string NY production apparently wasn’t in volumes to warrant tooling costs for a new, slightly longer stamped cover; most of what I’ve seen has a (nickel?) plated rest over the pickup. If a mistaken assumption, please let me know.

I am restoring the 7-string NY and wonder if anyone has one and would be willing to send detailed photos and measurements….

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 7:42 am    

I've never seen a nickel-plated cover. However, it's always possible that the paint was removed.

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 10:17 am    

Perhaps confused by my message.

The stamped brass cover I have - and virtually all of this sort I’ve seen are painted black. The simpler, bent flat stock tests are mostly what I believe to be nickel plated. If there are no stamped 7-string pickup cover/rests, in the interest of originality I’d try to match what these guitars had. Calling all 7-string NY owners. Historically, it’d be good to know what these used.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 11:03 am    

I'm still not sure I understand. The 7-string New Yorkers used the same hand rests and the contemporary 6-string ones, whether they were bent metal or wood.

Mark Makin

Nottingham, UK
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2022 6:34 am    

Fred, there are at least 20 different types of pre-war New Yorker lap steels known at the present time.

Gary Bouchard

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2022 11:19 am     National New Yorker

Thanks for the clarification. I just pulled the trigger on one this morning which I’ve been trying to date from the pictures I have of it. The best information I’ve gotten is from your book. From what I can tell, it’s the V1 from 1935. Four knobs and the headstock logo is the same. Some of my books say the first year of production was 1936 but you have some very detailed information on the versions from 1935. I should get the guitar sometime next week so I can have a first hand look. Thanks for your great book!

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2022 3:08 pm    

John Billings wrote:
Bill,I think I got the model name from a Gruhn book. He has been known to make a mistake now and then! And I can't find the book. You're probably right, cuz it would make more sense. Both guitars in the pic have the magnesium neck, no-heel design. Both guitars play beautifully, and sound wonderful. IMO, these guitars are vastly under-rated. Do you know what company made the bodies for the California and the Debonaire?
the Debonair body looks alot like a Premier which were made by United Code in NY, United also made Bodies for D'Angelico's electric line. I have a Orpheum guitar made by them and it is excellent.
https://mydirtyguitarhabit.com/to-telleno-to-tell-united-guitar-company-of-new-jersey/

Last edited by Glenn Wilde on 2 Sep 2022 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2022 3:18 pm    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
the Debonair body looks alot like a Premier which were made by United Code in NY, United also made Bodies for D'Angelico's electric line. I have a Orpheum guitar made by them and it is excellent.

The Debonaire body was built by Kay, who made most of Valco's archtop bodies after the War.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 2:17 pm    

Noah Miller wrote:
Glenn Wilde wrote:

The Debonaire body was built by Kay, who made most of Valco's archtop bodies after the War.

That would make sense, both shops being in Chicago.