The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice tips for new players
James Polk

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 1:29 pm    

Howdy friends! I picked up pedal steel this year and have gotten pretty comfortable on the e9 side of things. I play mostly at church for our southern gospel service.

My issue is this; I have an old sho-bud r&b that’s heavier than sin. Transporting it to and from church is a huge barrier for me. Either I have it at home and get lots of practice in but no play time, or I leave it at church and only play for rehearsal Wednesday and church Sunday.

I’d love to hear a few things from you guys.
How do you make transport easier?
What’s the most effective ‘workout’ you do in your practice?
What’s the most effective warmup you do before a gig?
Is there an alternative to buying a home steel and a church steel if I want to invest more time into learning the c6 neck?

Maybe this is a ‘what is your weekly routine’ share post. I love the instrument and I love playing but the getting there is burdensome.

Thanks y’all!

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:07 pm     Mmm

I'm taking the Paul Franklin method through modern music masters. This is a full on e9th and c6th study with the instruction from Paul Franklin himself. I'd like to recommend this to you. Please have a look.

I'm a gospel guy who feels as though the fat "jazzy" c6th chords are well suited for a more modern sound.

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 9:00 pm    

All I can do is add to the woe.

I have only one steel, and I play in the basement. The steel, amp, & seat goes up & down the skinny stairs so much, man it sure is a pain.

Get a cheap folding dolly if you need and don't have one yet. When I'm famous I'll have a duplicate set-up that stays in the truck.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2021 10:35 pm    

I think we're (almost) all trying to lighten the load, here's a few threads about light weight cases, split cases, keyboard softcases, aluminum legs, dollies, roller wheels that bolt on to case. Search button shd find more, lots of Electronics threads about small amps Quilter, Katana, Duncan and Milkman pedals etc...

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352644

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=354817

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=335159

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 12:19 am    

I would get a single E9 for church. I have two guitars, and my impression is that most players with regular gigs have at least that many. The investment in a second instrument would repay itself in time and effort.

Also, before you get too far down the C6 road, tune it down to B6. That will prepare you for a possible switch to universal. The sixth tuning isn't just for jazz or swing - I use it for all sorts of things!

Eight years in, I no longer own a D10, just two lightweight unis.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 5:07 am    

Practice tip:

Play along with recorded material, everything and anything. Learn to play in tune and imaginatively with any song you hear.

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 8:43 am     Practice tips for new players

As far as lightening the load I had an older Wilcox steel which wasn't a bad steel, but heavy. The case for it was even heavier so I decided to go to split cases. That reduced the load for the guitar, but having a case for the pedal bar and rods made the total load heavier. Then I got an Emmons LLG2 and got a keyboard soft case. That really helped lighten things.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2021 5:03 am    

Setting up , tearing down , loading , unloading, and general schlepping it around goes with the territory , you just have to get used to it .
If your aim is to become a decent steel player , daily practice is essential.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2021 5:50 pm    

If Gospel is your thing... I would pick a copy of Maurice Anderson's "The Universal Direction". He played his S12U Bb6th guitar on it...
It's mostly "6th" with some very identifiable E9th licks. There is a lot of wide or "chosen" grip playing (vs. typical "Western Swing" rake-picking. As it is not as fast as Bebop, Jazz or Swing, I feel it's "pickable"... not "easy" but one can study it.
This kind of music, as Ray Charles very well demonstrated leads well into Jazz, Soul and R&B.

Paul Franklin's current online course is the most in depth I have ever seen.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 10:39 am    

James, an easy first step to lighten the load is putting the pedal-bar and pedal-rods in a separate case. Search online for a nylon "tactical shotgun case." I carry my pedal bar (4 pedals), pedal rods and a music stand in that soft case.

Typical D-10 hard case is around 20 pounds. A soft nylon keyboard bag (49-key, IIRC) can be easily adapted into a serviceable case with some soft foam, styrofoam and hard cardboard corners. Protection is more than adequate while in your vehicle and hand carry to your destination.

All of this can be done cheap. Good luck.

The old Sho-Bud R&B guitars are cool! I still have the S10 I bought in 1973, pickup with coil-tap. It sounds wonderful.