The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SC Steel Show
Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 4:04 am    

Nick Reed wrote:
I'm gonna try to come this time. You don't have to put me on the schedule to play, but I'll probably have my steel rig with me just in case. Lookin forward to seeing all the guys down in SC.

Nick,

Would love to see you make it

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 9:54 am     SC Steel Show Guest Artist

We are pleased to announce that Michael Sweeney , will be our guest artist at the November 2021 SC Steel Guitar Convention, held in West Columbia, SC on November 6th & 7th.

Mike will be holding a workshop on Saturday Nov 6th, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The format will be classroom style, no instruments.
Cost will be $40 per person.

You can sign up and schedule your slot anytime by either contacting

Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor at (803) 796-6477;

Brian Christiano at (803) 238-6768 or mooneyn201fd@gmail.com, or

contact Mike directly at steelplayer1960@gmail.com if you have questions.

GET IN EARLY TO GUARANTEE A SPOT!…

You will be able to take 1. notes, 2. video using phone or video camera, 3. tape using portable recorder.
Remember that others will be partaking and you want to be courteous of their time as well.

We are excited that Mike will be back in SC again providing his expertise and wonderful playing skills. He will have CDs, and other materials available at his table during the show.

Mike Sweeney has performed with groups and artists such as The Nashville Palace house band, Jack Greene, Ray Price and Vern Gosdin. He currently is playing with the Mel Tillis, Jr. band and others.

He provides online tutorials and instruction.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 10:25 am    

What’s the address for Bill’s Picking Parlor? Hoping to find a campground nearby for my RV

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 10:29 am     Address for Bill's Music Shop & Pickin' Parlor

Ken Fox wrote:
What’s the address for Bill’s Picking Parlor? Hoping to find a campground nearby for my RV

710 Meeting St, West Columbia, SC 29169

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 1:15 pm     SC Steel Show Update

We have some exciting news coming very soon regarding the upcoming show. Besides our guest Mr. Mike Sweeney, who we are very pleased to have attend and do the workshop, our lineup of players is going to be excellent. We have players coming from Georgia, SC, and North Carolina.

Our lineup of players will be posted soon along with the flyer.

The venue is set again for:
Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor
710 Meeting Street
West Columbia, SC

Check out the website for Bill's Pickin' Parlor:
http://www.billsmusicshop.com/home.html

or Google for some photos of the outside and inside of the venue.

There's a lot of interest and excitement in the show after many have been canceled including the May/Nov 2020 & May 2021 SC shows.

Willie Wells is working with a caterer to provide on-site food so you don't have to leave the show to get food and beverages. You can also get a great cup of coffee, a Moonpie, or an RC Cola.

Plenty of free parking and access to nearby restaurants and the hotel. Columbiana Mall is nearby for shopping and restaurants.

The hotel will again be the Clarion Hotel with discounts if you let them know you are booking for the show.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2021 11:29 am     SC Steel Show update -Gonna be a Goonun'

I am pleased to announce that our Steel Guitar Convention is taking shape very nicely.

- Mike Sweeney will be our headliner, guest artist from Nashville.
- We have confirmed with the US Navy Country Current band that they will attend and perform as well.

If you have not seen or heard them, you are missing out on a great performance so plan to attend to see both of these great performances as well as our other fine guest artists from GA, SC, NC, KY, VA

Other artists include but are not limited to:
Roger Crawford
John Swain
Duane Ragan
Randy and Steve McKoy
Buck Rodgers (Yorktown, VA)
Jerry Overstreet (KY)
Ken Fox (Nashville, GA)
Gary Hart,

- We are still looking for steel players as well as "listeners" for the audience.

Get on the list to attend Mike's workshop on Saturday. He is an excellent instructor.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2021 11:51 am     Re: SC Steel Show update -Gonna be a Goonun'

Brian Christiano wrote:
I am pleased to announce that our Steel Guitar Convention is taking shape very nicely.

- Mike Sweeney will be our headliner, guest artist from Nashville.
- We have confirmed with the US Navy Country Current band that they will attend and perform as well.

If you have not seen or heard them, you are missing out on a great performance so plan to attend to see both of these great performances as well as our other fine guest artists from GA, SC, NC, KY, VA

Other artists include but are not limited to:
Roger Crawford
John Swain
Duane Ragan
Randy and Steve McKoy
Buck Rodgers (Yorktown, VA)
Jerry Overstreet (KY)
Ken Fox (Nashville, GA)
Gary Hart,

- We are still looking for steel players as well as "listeners" for the audience.

Get on the list to attend Mike's workshop on Saturday. He is an excellent instructor.

Also, Billy Knowles, Steel Guitar East, and steel guru extraordinaire, plans to be on hand to talk steel upgrades, maintenance and will have a booth for doing some work. We are excited that he will join us.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2021 2:55 pm    

I see some familiar names on that list. I used to attend quite often when the SC show was in Saluda and met some nice people and great pickers. I might try to attend this time and see if anyone has learned any new tunes. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

RC

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2021 6:51 pm    

Yes, Rick, there are some great, familiar names on that list! I too have some cherished memories of the South Carolina Steel Guitar Show when it was in Saluda. Russ and I looked especially forward to being there every year! Wonderful memories, and wonderful times with good friends.

So glad you guys have been continuing the grand tradition in Columbia SC (where most of my relatives still reside!).

I'm especially happy to hear that you'll be honoring our friends, Tommy, Steve, and Milton Mounce this year.

Milton was one of mine and Russ' closest friends for many, many years, and a big part of Russ' life since he was just a teenager! Milton was especially "Family" to us. We traveled many miles together, on the road, and he spent so much time in our life and home. Milton always dressed up the stage during Russ' sets. We feel his loss profoundly, as for Tommy and Steve, as well.

Have a great Show, South Carolina! Nobody like Mike Sweeney to have as your Special Guest, or the Bob Strickland Band in the House!

Our very best to Everyone! Be well, and be safe! And...turn up the steel!!!! Wink

Laney

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 4:30 am    

Rick, come on down and bring your fiddle! I’ll do at least one that you know.

Laney, it’s been way too long since seeing you guys. Wishing you both the best, and hoping you can see your way clear to come on down.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 4:37 am    

Roger Crawford wrote:
Rick, come on down and bring your fiddle! I’ll do at least one that you know.

Laney, it’s been way too long since seeing you guys. Wishing you both the best, and hoping you can see your way clear to come on down.

Rick, I agree with Roger. Would love to have you attend.

Laney, I have met Russ at several of the shows in GA/SC. In fact, he was our guest at the last one we had, pre-COVID. I have not had the pleasure of meeting you. Would love to see you both.

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 10:30 am    

Roger, "way too long" is an understatement! Since the Pandemic "fog" lifted for a minute, we've been trying to catch up with Friends where and when we could and we're loving the pure Blessing of being back on stages together, and with our favorite musicians. You'd be a sight for sore eyes, Roger....we've enjoyed some of the very best times with you in your neck of the woods...and, literally, in our "neck of the woods" at Hicks Holler! Come see us in Franklin!

Love you!
Laney and Russ

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 11:01 am    

Brian,
How nice of you to say Hello. It sounds like you're doing a really good job with the Columbia Show. I have a special place in my heart for all of the South Carolina Conventions over the years; I'm looking forward to our coming, hopefully sooner than later, and having, as Russ puts it, a "large time" with you and so many long, long time friends and music heroes who are often there. Your Staff Band, alone, contains a few of my "true brothers"!

Love your Line-Up for the upcoming Show! And, Mike's Seminar is a real opportunity for "up close and personal" teaching with a Master. Russ will never give his Buddy, Mike, the pleasure of hearing it spoken aloud, but we are both big Mike Sweeney fans; and we love him almost as much as we love Teresa!! Wink

I hope the weather in November and every virus known to Man will cooperate for one of your best attended Shows yet. It oughta be a packed house!

Very best to you, Brian!
Laney

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2021 11:37 pm    

Even with the date change I am still able to attend the Sunday event ( 7th) , I do have a scheduled gig the night before (6th) so I am not able to attend the Saturday event.

Looking forward to seeing longtime friends as well as Mike Sweeney who I haven't seen in years .

I am lugging the gear and am planning on picking a few , should time permit.

Everyone stay safe and travel safe as we endure these crazy days .

Thanks Brian for your tenacity in promoting the event !

TP - in Charlotte NC -( which is about a 90 min drive to Bills Pickin' Parlor)

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 5:51 pm     SC Steel Show - Update

The November show is taking shape nicely.

We have had two changes. First, Mike Sweeney has some scheduling issues that prevent him from coming to do the show. We will miss his talent and friendly demeanor. Maybe we can get him for a show in 2022.

We are pleased to announce that Pat Severs will be our guest artist. Pat is a SC native who has recently relocated to his home state after spending many years in Nashville as a session musician, performer on the Opry, Nashville Star, and Bill Anderson's Country Family Reunion show when on the road.

In addition Pat has played with Dolly Parton, Joe Diffie, Eddie Rabbit, and many others.

Along with US Navy Country Current band and many other players from SC, NC, GA, VA, MD, it will be a GREAT show. People are again excited about hearing and playing some live steel guitar.

Our very own, John Swain, will do a workshop on Saturday from 12 noon until 2 p.m.. It will be classroom style, video and recording allowed. Price $40/person.

WELCOME BACK HOME TO SC, PAT

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 10:46 am     SC Steel Show - COMING REAL SOON

IT'S COMING REAL SOON! PLAN TO BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:13 am     Re: SC Steel Show - COMING REAL SOON

Brian Christiano wrote:
IT'S COMING REAL SOON! PLAN TO BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

John Swain will be conducting the workshop on Saturday. It will be a classroom format without instruments. However, filming, taping, and notetaking will be allowed. John is an accomplished steel player and has extensive musical theory knowledge that he passes on when he teaches. I highly recommend if you want to extend your knowledge of the instrument or just learn some basics that you take his class.

Please sign up soon so we can plan on class sixe and accommodations. Contact me through email or phone 803.238.6768 or you can call Bill's Music Shop directly at: (803) 796-6477 and reserve your seat.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 7:24 am    

Nick Reed wrote:
I'm gonna try to come this time. You don't have to put me on the schedule to play, but I'll probably have my steel rig with me just in case. Lookin forward to seeing all the guys down in SC.

Nick, are you still planning on attending? I'll put you on Sunday morning around 10 or 11 a.m.

Look forward to seeing you. It's going to be a great show.

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 5:37 pm    

Lord willing, I’m off that weekend and I’ll be attending! It’ll be great seeing everyone.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 7:18 pm    

Austin Tripp wrote:
Lord willing, I’m off that weekend and I’ll be attending! It’ll be great seeing everyone.

Austin, That is great to hear. Looking forward to meeting you.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 10:46 am    

Hello Brian. I would like to thank you for your generous offer of a spot on your show. It does not appear that I will have the means to attend however. I have family issues and a lack of traveling accompaniment at that particular date.

You should fill any spot you have reserved for me with someone else. In the event I'm still able to make it, I would be happy just enjoying the concerts and visiting with some old steel playing friends as well as some local citizen acquaintances that I haven't seen in years.

I'm sorry I won't be able to hear all those great players in your line up. Perhaps another time may be better.

Glad that you are keeping steel guitar shows alive and I trust that you all will enjoy the experience as I know I would have, had I been able to attend.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 1:09 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Hello Brian. I would like to thank you for your generous offer of a spot on your show. It does not appear that I will have the means to attend however. I have family issues and a lack of traveling accompaniment at that particular date.

You should fill any spot you have reserved for me with someone else. In the event I'm still able to make it, I would be happy just enjoying the concerts and visiting with some old steel playing friends as well as some local citizen acquaintances that I haven't seen in years.

I'm sorry I won't be able to hear all those great players in your line up. Perhaps another time may be better.

Glad that you are keeping steel guitar shows alive and I trust that you all will enjoy the experience as I know I would have, had I been able to attend.

Jerry I am sorry to hear you won't be able to join us for the show. I was looking forward to hearing you play and having the opporunity to talk with you.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 1:13 pm     SC Steel Show updates

For all of those planning on attending and playing please get at least a set list with keys sent to me. Preferred, to have charts of your songs you intend to play so I can get those to our house band.

Also, if you are planning on attending the workshop on Saturday with John Swain, please let me know so I can get you on the list. Maybe send me or John what you would like to see presented at the workshop.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 3:09 pm    

Brian Christiano wrote:
Jerry I am sorry to hear you won't be able to join us for the show. I was looking forward to hearing you play and having the opporunity to talk with you.

I appreciate that Brian. You're very kind. I really miss playing the shows since our own local steel club imploded a few years back. It was about the only thing to keep my steel interest.

Ya'll have fun 🎶

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2021 5:51 am    

Brian -I definitely plan to attend on Sunday. I am getting together next week at my house in Fair Play Sc with a couple guys in your staff band to woodshed a few songs. ...I know that is cheating but it has been almost 2 years since I have played a steel show dedicated to steel guitar music. Should be great fun at the show.