The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Readily available set of strings for McAuliffe e13?
Glenn Burleigh

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 10:33 am    

I've got a Melbert Roundabout that I should be getting in a little bit. I've been thinking about throwing a different tuning on it. Right now, I've been playing A6, B11 and the high G# version of E13. I've been reading up on the McAuliffe version of E13 and am considering giving that one a spin on the new steel.

Is there a set of string folks recomment for this tuning? It obviously can't just use the same guages as the higher version of the tuning. It doesn't seem far off from A6, so do people just use those sets?
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 11:00 am    

I've retuned the same strings from A6, McAuliffe E13 and high E C6. If you stick to one tuning you might want to tweak the gauges but a C6 set with a high E works for all of them.

Glenn Burleigh

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 11:40 am    

Just to make sure that I'm understanding you: I can get away with using an A6 set, but I'd be better off getting an C6 set like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303975626752?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

That sound right?
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 5:10 pm    

That GHS C6 set is exactly the same as the GHS A6 set.