The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal tension on C pedal pulling three plain strings….
Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 11:27 am    

If on a MODERN pedal guitar, I were to have my C pedal work double duty, and pull 4 and 5 one full step on E9 (the typical C pedal change) and ALSO pull 4 on C6 a full step as well, would that cause any issue? I know a lot of players now a days pull 8 on E9 a full step on the C pedal… would pulling three plain strings instead be any more problematic or inadvisable?

Thanks, ~Chris Scruggs~

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 11:35 am    

The concept is ingenious, having the 3rd pedal double as an old-fashioned P4. It would obviously be stiffer than a dedicated P4, but to find out how much I guess you'd just have to try it.

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 11:44 am    

Hi Chris. I once tried adding a third pull on my C pedal to raise sting 8 a whole tone, and I didn’t like the added tension for my quick BC moves, so I took it back off.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 12:17 pm     Re: Pedal tension on C pedal pulling three plain...

Chris Scruggs wrote:
If on a MODERN pedal guitar, I were to have my C pedal work double duty, and pull 4 and 5 one full step on E9 (the typical C pedal change) and ALSO pull 4 on C6 a full step as well, would that cause any issue? I know a lot of players now a days pull 8 on E9 a full step on the C pedal… would pulling three plain strings instead be any more problematic or inadvisable?

Thanks, ~Chris Scruggs~

Chris, it depends on what extra string you pull and how far, the setup of the pulls and if you have a guitar that has easy action. You can do more if you lengthen the travel on strings 4 and 5 you might not even notice a plain string raising a whole tone.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 2:27 pm    

On the Franklin I had, I didn't have 3 pulls on the "C" pedal, but there were C6th pedals with 3 and 4 pulls and didn't notice any difference from pedals with 2 pulls.

I also had two knee levers with 3 pulls on E9th and 1 on C6th (both RKL and RKR). Very small difference from the LKL and LKR that only had 2 pulls on each.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 4:20 pm    

Last edited by Brint Hannay on 16 Sep 2021 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 9:39 pm    

It would certainly be stiffer however that can be mitigated by lowering the pullrod(s)in the bellcrank(s)(and/or repositioning the pull rods in the changer hole furthest from the axle)and lengthening the travel. Most modern guitars can handle this.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 1:22 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
It would certainly be stiffer however that can be mitigated by lowering the pullrod(s)in the bellcrank(s)(and/or repositioning the pull rods in the changer hole furthest from the axle)and lengthening the travel. Most modern guitars can handle this.

Yes - Regardless of the pull train adjustment you will still have to accept a longer travel to reduce the pull force (stiffness). Hard to get around physics. Another point; it is not reasonable to compare movements on different strings as the thinner the gauge more force is required. It is easier to pull a wound string too.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 2:16 pm    

Common sense tells me that a pedal that's pulling more strings is supposed to be harder to push!

So add the pull, and then go on playing. Very Happy (And avoid the temptation to fix things that aren't broken.)

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 2:27 pm    

But to answer the OP regarding ability to accommodate the extra string - the only additional force to be counteracted is on the lever and its connection. The PSG should be able to handle that. If there is so much force the lever/pedal connections would break then it would be unplayable.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 6:53 pm    

I have both pedals and levers pulling 4 strings, and on both very old and newer guitars. Yes, they're stiffer than pedals that pull 2 strings, but it's not really a big deal. I've never tried to balance them, I just adapt to the increased pressure and go on playing.

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 6:27 am    

Woo...love ya Chris Scruggs! From the Cobra Joe look-a-like drummer in Boise (BR549 show at the Egyptian Theater many moons ago).