The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hillman Bars
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 6:22 am    

Huge shout out to Mike Hillman . This is Charlie Norris’ Black Raja bar he gave me years ago when I started playing. Charlie pulled it out of his personal pack a seat and gave it to me. It has a ton of miles and I wanted to have it refinished. It has a lot of sentimental value to me. Mike did an absolutely awesome job and it looks and plays like new. It is now homes in airs own heavy duty plastic tube and lives in my seat, not to be used. Kept for its mighty mojo. RIP Charlie and thank you Hillman Bars!

Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 12:57 pm    

+1 for Michael Hillman's bars!

I just got a 15/16" Hillman bar as a gift from my beloved. It's the first coated bar I've had.

It's cool how it's grippy to hold, yet slippery on the strings. I like the tone and sustain of the heavier 15/16" bar.

The Hillman bar will be easier to manage than the 1" Dunlop 12-string bar I had. Very impressed so far.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2019 3:18 pm    

Hillman bars are the best. its all I use. a great product at a reasonable price. Thenks Michael

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2019 3:23 pm    

https://tonebars.com/

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2019 7:28 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
https://tonebars.com/

Lee
Thank you for posting their website address I forgot to do that.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 10:44 am    

Looks like they are out of 7/8" bars. Love to try one.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 12:16 pm    

I think that website's not operational yet, like it says at the bottom. To order, you have to PM/email Mr. Hillman.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 7:05 pm    

Cool bars!

What effect does powder coating a bar have on its functionality? I already have a BJS bar that I quite like, but am very intrigued with these...

Please tell me more!

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 7:19 pm    

Just wanted to drop in and say that Michael is one of the best and fairest people I've done business with, over the course of a few transactions. Sometimes buying from a small business/individual can be tricky, but he's on top of it and scrupulously honest.

Recommended!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 9:51 pm    

Charley Paul wrote:
What effect does powder coating a bar have on its functionality?

Charley, they've been described as "sticky in your hand, slippery on the strings." I've only used one for a few days, but that's how it feels to me.

Mikhail Bobrov

Russia
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 6:12 am    

Dan Robinson wrote:
...they've been described as "sticky in your hand, slippery on the strings."

+1. I really DO like my Hillman's bars... Smile

Billy Morgan

Talladega, Alabama
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 9:33 am     Hillman Bars

I would like to agree with Jim Fogarty that Mike Hillman is indeed one of the best men I have every dealt with. He is completely honest and will stand by his product and do whatever it takes to satisfy you. His bars are of the highest quality and it is my opinion that they are easy to hold, but slide over the strings very smoothly and have a good tone. I live in the Anniston Alabama area and he recently refinished some bars for me and a another steel playing friend and we are completely satisfied. I highly recommend him.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 12:49 pm     Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread!

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread! We greatly appreciate the kind words, and sheepishly admit that today is the first time that we noticed this particular thread. A comment was made about our Hillman tone bar website— it is a project put together by our oldest son, and we are gradually trying to get things correct on it, the variety of sizes and colors makes it a little tough to keep up with real inventory. The website is a nice convenience, but certainly the largest group of steel players interested in our bars are to be found right here on the Forum - thanks b0b!

Saddened by the loss of life, the disruption to our economy and normal way of life, and the resultant cancellation of music events that we all enjoy. We so look forward to the Sun Valley jazz and music festival each October here in Idaho, but just received word that it’s been canceled until 2022. We are hopeful to renew many acquaintances at the Dallas Show in March. Stay safe and well! Michael and Sheryl Hillman
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 1:20 pm    

Michael is the best. The grooved and coated bars are my favorite!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 4:39 pm     Thanks Steve!

Thanks Steve, great doing business with you!
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 6:10 am    

These are wonderful bars,I just ordered 2 red ones,I gave one to Jon Light.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 9:30 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
These are wonderful bars,I just ordered 2 red ones,I gave one to Jon Light.

Jon said he really doesn't need any more bars and suggested you have it shipped to me!

Razz

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 2:56 pm    

I'll say it again, best bars out there. I have 2 of them and is all I ever use.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 9:03 am     Thanks Larry -

Thanks Larry, I missed seeing you at Dallas! Of course last year we missed seeing everyone at Dallas. Hoping it will happen in March 2022. Hope all is well with you and yours.