The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good volume pedal for a Carter Starter?
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 11:26 am    

Welp, I bought this Dunlop volume pedal - https://bit.ly/3BWf2wX - but it's too tall at full volume to work under my Carter Starter.

Recommendations on a beginner-priced volume pedal (low-profile?) that'll work? (I'm 5' 11" if it helps.)

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 12:04 pm     Moyo Volume Pedal

Travis,

You might try one of the Moyo volume pedal made by Glenn Taylor. Here's a link:

https://glenntaylormusic.us/

Here's a posting on the Steel Guitar Forum about the Moyo volume pedal. I have one and highly recommend it!

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=372327&highlight=moyo

Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 12:13 pm    

Any volume pedal will work to get started. Maybe not low z but anything else.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 6:15 pm    

Travis,
Can you provide some more detail as to how the volume pedal is too tall when at full volume? Does the starter have a leg adjustment that will allow you to gain more clearance on the back of the guitar?

It is hard for me to imagine why the volume pedal is too tall. I'm 5'10" and don't have a similar issue and I run my guitars flat, front to back.

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 7:12 am    

Andy Vance wrote:
Travis,
Can you provide some more detail as to how the volume pedal is too tall when at full volume? Does the starter have a leg adjustment that will allow you to gain more clearance on the back of the guitar?

It is hard for me to imagine why the volume pedal is too tall. I'm 5'10" and don't have a similar issue and I run my guitars flat, front to back.

Nah can't adjust the height much - just one adjustable leg for balancing it out.

It's basically just like - with the volume pedal under the guitar, and my foot on the pedal at full volume - my knee hits the underside of the guitar. Feels like I'd need a couple more inches of height on the guitar to use this particular pedal. Maybe I just have long legs, I dunno. Either way, I think just a lower-profile pedal might do the trick (that Moyo one looks great.) This one just feels like it has some unnecessary bulk to it:

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 8:05 am    

The Dunlop DVP3 is probably not a good one for starting out on PSG, especially with the limited height adjustment available on the Carter Starter. It looks like it has a similar housing to the DVP1 pictured below. Good pedal, but the tallest of the bunch. I used some furniture "carpet protectors" to jack up the back of my starter when using the Dunlop. It also has a 250K pot. 500K is better if you are going straight in to the VP with no buffer amp.

More info on the pedals shown here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=248945

Note the Dunlop DVP steel band did not hold up well for PSG use in my experience.

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 5:42 pm    

Bob Sykes wrote:
The Dunlop DVP3 is probably not a good one for starting out on PSG, especially with the limited height adjustment available on the Carter Starter. It looks like it has a similar housing to the DVP1 pictured below. Good pedal, but the tallest of the bunch. I used some furniture "carpet protectors" to jack up the back of my starter when using the Dunlop. It also has a 250K pot. 500K is better if you are going straight in to the VP with no buffer amp.

More info on the pedals shown here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=248945

Note the Dunlop DVP steel band did not hold up well for PSG use in my experience.

Thank you sir!

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 2:01 pm     Moyo Volume Pedal

I recommend the Moyo volume pedal. Follow the links provided above. It is a very nice, well built, and sturdy volume pedal. It goes from full on to full off. It also has a separate jack for connection to a tuner, which comes in quite handy. The Moyo pedal is a low profile pedal, with side jacks. It is actually 1/4" lower than an old Dekley Low Boy pedal that I have. The price is very good too, with great customer service.

Josh Moss

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 5:10 am    

I'm with Greg and Ken on recommending the Moyo volume pedal. Great, compact pedal.
Fender Silverface Twin
Peavey Nashville 400

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 6:11 am    

Here is a pic of a Moyo sitting to the left of my old Dekley Low Boy pedal. I have 1" longer legs on my GFI, and I still like having a low profile pedal. I don't think there is a pedal out there that's lower than a Moyo.

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 9:32 am    

Travis,
You may want to take a look at a StageOne volume pedal.
Here's the URL:
stageonesteelguitars.com/volume_pedal
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2021 3:31 am    

John Talbott wrote:
Travis,
You may want to take a look at a StageOne volume pedal.
Here's the URL:
stageonesteelguitars.com/volume_pedal

Travis
I second John’s suggestion. Doug makes an awesome, affordable, made for steel volume pedal . Input and output jacks on many guitar volume pedals will be on front of pedal making them difficult to secure, and won’t be really voiced for steel. The Stage One has everything you need and is affordable and well built,
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2021 4:01 am    

Regarding the Stage One pedal - I agree. Great pedal for the money. I had one, but sold it. I decided to get another. I tried to order one before I bought the Moyo, and couldn't get one at the time. Doug said it would be in the fall before he has them available again. Well, it's now Fall.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2021 10:16 am    

I did get the volume pedal parts in and have some pedals assembled. The rest are in process. I build them 100 at a time.

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 11:53 am    

Travis,

Pic of StageOne VP attached to pedal rack

GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro