The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup for Williams S10
Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 5:44 am    

I Have ordered a Williams S10 wide body. I have pretty much decided on the specifications apart from the pickup. It seems that the Bill Laurence 705 is the obvious choice. This is what BJ Cole went with. But I was wondering about either the Alumitone or a Telonics pickup. I like a full round tone but one that cuts through, so warm smooth lows and ringing highs.

Any advice on this most welcome.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 10:21 am    

I have 705's in both of mine. To me it's a good combination.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 1:14 pm    

Telonics X-10 is a great choice if you don't mind taking the time and effort to adjust the poles.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 6:21 am    

Purchased my Williams D-10 from a Forum member, it came equipped with BL 705 pickups. To my ears the highs were harsh sounding. Replaced them with the BL '710' and found the tone to be much smoother over the entire range.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 8:56 am    

I’ve not heard it yet, but a friend has XR16 is his and he loves it.

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 11:44 am    

Are you getting a wood or metal neck?

Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 6:48 pm    

John, I didn't know that there was a choice regarding the neck. I was assuming that it would be metal. I couldn't find anything on the website about choice of neck material.

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 7:45 am    

Wood neck is an upsell extra. Just curious since I have a Williams with wood necks and it may affect my perception

Anyway I have Alumintone on E9 neck and 705 reissue on C6 neck because I couldn't decide and thought I'd try both.

I feel like they're close enough that any difference you could make up with amp eq. Both are quiet, 705 output is a little hotter and seems a little beefier in the midrange to me. Alumintone seems more neutral, maybe a little better on string separation

Differences are small to my ears and also hard to tell with different styles of playing and string gauges on the different necks. I would like to have same pickup on both necks someday due to volume differences but still cant really pick one. Leaning towards 705 after 2-3 years of indecision.

I also have a Williams with Steeltronics CE10 single coil that I absolutely love, but that's a very different beast. Great for gigs but the slight hum is probably not quiet enough for recording in today's hifi environment unless it's a loud rockin mix.