The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A way to hang a Telecaster and a mandolin off the PSG?
Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 2:49 pm    

Hi fellow steelers,
I switch off on mando and Tele in the bands I play with. I want to build/buy hangers that will attach to the legs of the PSG to hold up a Tele and a mandolin. I do not trust guitar stands on stage- too easy to kick over by inattentive musicians or enthusiastic patrons.
I was thinking something jury-rigged using drum hardware and clamps.
Had anybody built/bought something that works well?
Thanks,
Al

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 4:00 pm    

I have considered trying a string swing with industrial (20pound, not the stuff they usually sell at Home Depot) velcro for my mandolin but the tele, with thin headstock and your PSG rockin side to side, that sounds scary to me.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 4:20 pm    

Maybe mount two wall hangers on a sturdy piece of plywood, then attach two pipe clamps to the back of the wood to grab the steel legs on the side? If you can use the mechanical advantage of the diverging angle of the legs, that would keep the whole thing from slipping downward.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 4:52 pm    

Good ideas. I like the idea of building a board with clamps or braces that would wedge into the upsidedown V of the steel legs. I have a roll of industrial velcro to keep things in place.
I think for the Tele, I would have to have a padded brace that holds it in place so it can't fall forward.
I'll post pics if I come up with a prototype.
Thanks,
Al

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 5:52 pm    

Right on. That industrial Velcro is strong stuff. I've used it for numerous projects and it just always sticks tight.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 7:18 pm    

A guitar standing up is taller than a PSG, am I wrong? I don't see how it could hang from anywhere. I would just put them on a guitar stand (or rack for multiples) where they would be out of the way. Maybe caution tape or shock collars for fellow bandsmen.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 7:18 pm    

I've used these for mandolin, attached to mic stand....

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CC04UK--string-swing-cc04uk-mic-music-stand-ukulele-or-mandolin-hanger?mrkgadid=3344197485

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 8:56 pm    

@Jon Voth Yes, you are right, of course. The butt of the tele would sit on the floor, and the hook/brace would hold it upright somewhere on the upper neck.
This all may be a terrible idea! I'm trying to minimize my footprint on the stage. A little folding stand might be the way to go for the tele. That little stringswing hook for the mando looks perfect.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 4:21 am    

I also use one of the hangers that D.Schubert mentions, but I put it on a mic stand. Sweetwater (the link in his post) says they are out of stock. But almost every online music store sells them. I believe I got mine from Amazon. I don't believe I have seen one of these for a guitar, but of course I wasn't looking for one.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 5:50 pm    

cancelled

Last edited by Bob Cox on 1 Aug 2021 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 1:07 am    

I use a Ukulele/Mando holder clipped to the PA Stand next to me. I have enough on my mic stand and I can reach my Mando easily. I use guitar stands for by Gibson and Strat. I played this afternoon and my changes were efficient. I need to find a practical way to hold the two guitars together? I have a stand for two acoustics but it is rather too flimsy for electric guitars!

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 6:16 am    

The more I think about it, the more I think you'd need to design a metal-frame stand that supported the Tele from the bottom and hung with brackets from the legs. Making that whole thing out of wood would be too bulky and heavy, I would think. But a foldable metal frame might just do it.

However, I'm not sure how much more advantage you'd have over a regular double instrument floor stand. Maybe people would be less likely to knock it over, but it would come with it's own host of potential problems.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 7:13 am    

Jon Voth wrote:
A guitar standing up is taller than a PSG, am I wrong? I don't see how it could hang from anywhere.

Simple, don't hang it from the neck, hang it from the body:
(The blue marks would be felt or foam covered pegs.)

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 8:45 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Jon Voth wrote:
A guitar standing up is taller than a PSG, am I wrong? I don't see how it could hang from anywhere.

Simple, don't hang it from the neck, hang it from the body:
(The blue marks would be felt or foam covered pegs.)

That looks pretty iffy. Unless the stand was super sturdy, the arms wouldn't have to flex much before your guitar would be on the floor.

I really think you should stick with a stage stand and rig up some way to clamp it to your steel or amp if it would make you feel more secure.

A simple back to back dual guitar stand seems like the appropriate solution here. The "Hercules" system that holds the instrument by the headstock. More expensive, but very safe and nice wide tripod.
Lots of options here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c935--2_Guitar_Stands

Since stability seems to be your prime concern, there are dual A-Frame stands that are low to the ground and very wide.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 6:17 am    

My intention was to reduce how much floor space I need to set up my rig. I play very small venues for the most part.
In the end though, I 'll take as much space as I need. If it's too much space, they can get a piccolo player instead.
For the mandolin, I got a hanger that clamps onto the PSG leg.
For the tele, I got a Hercules compact folding A-frame floor stand.
Seems pretty stable and should work fine.
Thanks everyone.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 8:50 pm    

Karl Paulsen wrote:

That looks pretty iffy. Unless the stand was super sturdy, the arms wouldn't have to flex much before your guitar would be on the floor.

Those "arms" should be a one-inch dowel, about four inches long, and they should be mounted (glued and screwed/bolted) to a piece of sturdy and stiff wood. Preferably it would be a piece of thick plywood or a one-by-six. There's no chance a ten pound guitar would break or deform a dowel of that length and diameter. (I've hung lawn mowers and bicycles in my shed the exact same way.) Cool

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 8:37 pm    

For anyone curious, here’s the String Swing on my Encore. It’ll be a big help on an upcoming tour, where I’ll be playing steel, electric mando and guitar. The Tele I’ll just lean against the amp. They’re tough. Winking

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2021 8:02 am    

This pocket-hanger is very handy for a Telecaster, if your amp is tall enough.