The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud D10 Fingertip, Now Reasonable offers accepted!!
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 6:12 am    

Well as the saying goes "my loss is your gain" The time has come for me to pass this great instrument to another caretaker, I will hate to see it go but that's life. Life is also about paying bills and that is what I need to do now. Some of you may think the price a little high but when I see Gibson SG Juniors go for $4k to 5k and I consider the historic nature of the Sho-Bud I feel the worth is $4000.00 easily. How much are Bigsbys going for now?
The story is this, I bought this used over 25 years ago as my first pedal steel. I learned on this how to play and how the instrument works mechanically and it has been a fascinating journey. I believe it originally came with no knees, and a previous owner had installed four very crude knee levers from parts out of the garage or something so I talked to John Coop and he made four beautiful levers that I installed. I was playing this guitar out and on recordings and I changed it around a bit to suit me. I've been in the biz a long time and working on the guitar has been an educational experience but I decided to enlist the great Dave Petersen to tweek it in ways that he has expertise in surpassing mine. He fine tuned it and changed the foot pedal arrangement to the way it is I was more comfortable with. Everything that was done is reversible and all the original parts come with it. I was having a problem with the ABC pedals so close together so that's why we did that. My goal has always been to keep it as original as possible but have it play without issues. The Sho_bud name plate on it was something some players did back then, you can still see a shadow of the original decal that says "Sho-Bud Nashville Tennessee". The C6 pickup had problems and I had Jerry Wallace rewind it years ago. So all original except for knees added and the Grover tuners that were on it when I bought it. I have the C6 neck tuned to an 8 string E13th, very similar to C6 but tuned up. Once again, all the parts are included for the full C6 tuning. Condition wise this is NOT mint, if you are looking for a modern state of the art flawless instrument, this is not it. What this IS is a historic instrument with tone up the yin yang and I would like to pass it on to somebody who will appreciate it. Comes with the original case which is in ok condition, functions fine, the leather handle arrangement obviously seen better days. I could go on and on about this thing so anyone wanting more info just let me know.
I don't want to ship this if possible, the packing and shipping for this at about 70lbs would run into hundreds of dollars and risk damage. I will negotiate the price but not much! PHOTOS in my next post. Body and neck of Cocobolo and Maple. Pickups each tapped with switches.

Last edited by Mark Durante on 7 Mar 2022 5:29 am; edited 5 times in total

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 6:23 am    

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 2:21 pm    

I wish I were in position to take that off your hands bro. However, I have spent my allotted funds on a new unit that is currently under construction. You are correct, it is a piece of history that truly needs to go a special person that can preserve it for future generations to see and experience. I hope and pray you find that right person. I just wish it were me as I would leave Panama City and meet with you in St Pete. Take bro best wishes from the Fla Panhandle.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 3:14 am    

Thanks Johnny, this guitar has been a real blessing in my life and I'm sure there is someone else out there that will love it as I do.
I am adding the copedant it has currently but part of the historic significance of this model was that it was the first D-10 pedal steel where you could change copedants around, (unlike the permanent). All rodded, no pulleys, made over 55 years ago it was amazing and it still is!

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 3:20 am    

Here is what I have been using
[/img]

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 10:58 am    

Many times in life, older technology is so much better than the new fan-dangled junk that we throng after. Best wishes and take care.

Daniel Stein

Glen Allen, Virginia, US
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 6:56 pm     trade

Pm sent[/list]
Quilter mach 3
Quilter aviator (1x12)
Sho bud single channel
Custom b bender Tele
Fender telecaster bass
Yamaha fretless bass
MarkBass 1x12 (Bass rig)
‘70s Slingerland Drumkit
Yamaha modx 6 (keyboard)
‘79 washburn Jethro burns mandolin
2022 deering deluxe banjo
Unknown early 1890s to early 1900s fiddle

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 4:23 am    

This might have been posted before but I thought worth posting again. My Fingertip is still for sale for (gasp) $4000.00.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 2:41 pm    

I have had a request for more photos of the headstock area so here they are.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 9:32 am    

The guitar is still for sale, it's not a bad thing to have, but what I will do now is come down to 3450.00. I suggest if you are interested in this type of thing to snap up any good deals you may find, I see great deals on the forum here all the time. But there are only so many of these old steel guitars... New steels are being made now and might be even better than ever but the price is not cheap either, the modern builder deserves every penny they ask though.
Anyway, just keeping my listing current and also I have included here a Copedent for the C6 neck on the Fingertip that was on it when I got it, and can be setup like that again if the new owner wants,
of course.

Last edited by Mark Durante on 7 Mar 2022 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2022 2:03 pm    

Just to let anyone know who might be interested that this great old guitar is still for sale. I haven't been too aggressive in my efforts to sell but I'm not getting any younger and my bills are growing so I will entertain offers at this point. Just ask if you want more info or photos, thanks.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 5:41 am    

Yes offers now accepted! I'm no Buddy Charlton but his legendary playing on this model Sho-Bud has been inspirational to say the least. It's hard to let go but for me, it's time. Thanks for looking.

Justin Wierenga

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 6:38 am    

That's a beauty! 1st time i've seen that trim on a bud other than my 1971 blonde and red The Professional (and other 71 Professionals)

George King

Woodlawn,Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 5:32 pm     Shobud

I sent you a message justin.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2022 7:02 am    

TTT

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2022 10:16 am    

I have replaced the makeshift case handle I had with this new one which looks better and works good so far. We are in the process of moving so things are hectic but I will try to check messages and answer questions. A bigger discount now for buyers who will pick this up so I don't have to go thru another major pack job! Thanks

Melvin Farmer

Saraland, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2022 2:01 pm    

Serial number please

Jim Trantham

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2022 6:04 pm     Shobud

Mark Durante wrote:
I have replaced the makeshift case handle I had with this new one which looks better and works good so far. We are in the process of moving so things are hectic but I will try to check messages and answer questions. A bigger discount now for buyers who will pick this up so I don't have to go thru another major pack job! Thanks

This is my D10 Permanent. How much is yours now?? Jim