The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is this Jimmy Day with CC & the Lost Planet Airmen?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 8:17 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:

Jimmy did write "I Know I Love You"... "and I know you love me." At his funeral, those in attendance in the chapel before the service started (over 400 there. It was an amazing funeral) Jimmy's recorded instrumentals were playing over the PA as background music, and all the folks there were reminiscing, greeting old friends, chatting about everything, you know. Then Jimmy's voice singing "I Know I Love You and I know you love me" came on the PA. Instantly the whole place went silent, totally silent, listening to Jimmy's soulful, plaintive voice. He was a blues singer, and he showed it.

At that moment the song ended, the Reverend Dave Rich (who Jimmy had recorded with back in the 1950's when Dave was a country singer and before his conversion) got up to the microphone and quietly said "Let's have a big hand for Jimmy Day."

The entire audience erupted into the biggest ovation I've ever heard. Lynn Owsley was with me and nodded when I said "Jimmy is here and he's loving this."

Thanks for that great story, Herb.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 10:28 am     Jimmy Day Remembrance

When Jimmy was playing with Willie Nelson in the early seventies they stopped off in New Mexico for a concert. A friend of mine Bruce T had just started out on his musical career and was playing some little dive at the time. Since it was a four piece he also doubled on guitar as well as steel. Bruce was well aware of Jimmy and in awe of him really. As the night wore on a well oiled Jimmy Day arrived at the club and proceeded towards the bandstand where Bruce was.... Bruce in hopes of avoiding a horrible put down dumped his steel picks and grabbed his standard guitar only to hear Jimmy yell as he headed for the door "And I can do that better than you too!!!"

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 11:46 am    

Here's a brief Jimmy story, but one of my favorite memories of him.

Jimmy lived about 10 miles south of me, and I was over at his place one cold January morning for some reason I can't remember.

When I walked in he got up and said "hey man, come here. I want to show you something." He then handed me a birthday card (his b'day is in Jan.) and I opened it. The inscription inside was "Happy birthday, to my teacher... Buddy""

When Jimmy was really happy, he had the biggest grin you've ever seen and he'd hug himself and just kind of gently shake with joy. All he could say was "pretty cool, huh?" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 2:31 pm     Heard that story before

I always wondered what the teaching consisted of: Jimmys version of Pachelbel Canon in D or Once upon a time in the west Linus and Lucey medley?