William Smith

Manhattan, Kansas
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 7:43 am    

Thanks, John!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 7:44 am    

JD

Your posts are well thought out and logically presented. You've given me food for thought.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to express your theories.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 9:27 am    

Al Evans wrote:
J D Sauser wrote:
William Smith wrote:

[...]
This is of great help. I appreciate the time you took to post this and I think others who read it will gain from it.

Thanks William! Makes my day hearing that!... J-D.

I'm getting back into working on the C6th neck (after a few weeks of E9th study) and I appreciate it, too!

Thanks!

--Al Evans

Roger Rettig wrote:
JD

Your posts are well thought out and logically presented. You've given me food for thought.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to express your theories.

Thanks a lot!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

William Smith

Manhattan, Kansas
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 7:24 pm    

Yes. This has got me looking at why each pedal of the emmons c6 setup exists. The “tracker string” idea brought up seems to align with this. How can I make a maj9th, dominant 9, diminished 7, and minor 9th on each tracker string? Oh, on tracker string 7 position, p6 flats my third and p5 flats my 5th for that dim 7th chord. But they have to be separate pedals (5&6) because you only want to lower the low e if playing a dom 7 of tracker 9. That separation also allows for a dim 7 off tracker 8 w/ p5&6 or a half dim 7 w/ only p6.

Maybe that’s why it evolved this way.

There’s probably a few of us that think we found a gold mine here.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 4:18 am     Re: PF Course

William Smith wrote:
I have looked into the course am considering it.

To those who have taken or are taking the course:
Do you find it necessary to have a pc setup next to your guitar? Do you need two screens: one for tab and one for the videos? Any thoughts on how the courses flow or measurable improvement in playing based on participation in the course?

I use my cell phone...

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 1:07 pm     Re: PF Course

Wayne Baker wrote:
William Smith wrote:
I have looked into the course am considering it.

To those who have taken or are taking the course:
Do you find it necessary to have a pc setup next to your guitar? Do you need two screens: one for tab and one for the videos? Any thoughts on how the courses flow or measurable improvement in playing based on participation in the course?

I use my cell phone...

Paul Franklin's course covers things that have never even been touched with 10-foot Chinese Chop Sticks before.
BUT it's NOT a course like having a teacher like some of Jeff Newman's videos were.
You REALLY have to first watch a few videos and the sheet content first. They are SHORT but LOADED.
Then only, I setup my LapTop in front of my steel and go about it.
Each video generates or SHOULD awaken a LOT of ideas... there are "AHA!"-moments just popping up on and on.
I would NOT try to just go on from video to video.
He shows (IMO correctly), chord based pockets, and movement-pockets as I described here earlier in other words. One should acquire these positions to the point of second nature and EXPERIMENT, fool around with and also CONNECT each new position to previously learned positions BEFORE moving on.

MY biggest handicap has always being single note improvisation. I made a clear decision on taking care of that handicap in a methodological manner and not stop until I am satisfied. THIS course has given me goose-bumps and joy-sweats! And taken me not only places I had never been able to take my playing to, but also to places I doubted I'd ever go.
I remain a "Chord-Guy"... and 6th-tunings are a good place to puddle around for "Chord-Jukies"... but his single note playing pockets have cracked the nut for me.
I MISS that he doesn't dwell very long on playing in MOVEMENTS (Eg: 2, 5, I's), but there are ample examples on YouTube on steel, guitar and piano. And I would urge people to look at PIANO lessons on improvising in MOVEMENTS, because it's very graphical (guitar player's finger positions and steel player's pedal and lever play are often difficult to see). My 10 year old, I BELIEVE youngest son, studies Jazz piano, so I have access to a keyboard at all times. I urge everyone to have at least a cheap little keyboard handy for study, then it shows "music" line up in a linear fashion and makes evident some similarities that are not so obvious on a guitar and much less on a PSG.

But, not only do I suggest PF's FULL course to all my friends, but I hide it from my "enemies"... and the later should tell you how highly I think of it. Ha! Very Happy

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 1:52 pm     ii, V, I

Jim Cohen and "Erin From Steel Picking", have some in depth studies on YouTUBE.

Yet, I have come to look more at piano and guitar tutorials over "steel guitar" tutorials.

Here is one I think that those interested in this threads subject definitely should look at about learning to listen for them 2, 5's and 2, 5, 1's.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4YfbdoS-4c&t=370s

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.