The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What kind of harp mic is John Popper using?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2021 4:01 pm    

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2021 4:38 pm    

He uses a Shure 58. Attached is a control device for switching between amps for different effects. The whole rig is covered here:

https://youtu.be/c73iYj5-XzY

While I like his playing, and think his tone fits his style (clean tone for those high-note fast riffs), I prefer a dirtier tone. That's probably about 1/2 amp, 1/2 microphone. I know Jason Ricci uses a Shure 57 (basically same mic with different housing at the end) and can certainly get a nice, gritty tone. I use a 58 Beta when I play accoustically (not cupped, just playing into the mic). But I prefer a "dirtier" mic for amped playing (currently using the Hohner HB52 "Harp Blaster"). Just my take on it.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 5:59 am    

Thanks, Doug. I thought it may be a 58 in a cumbersome housing. I have a wireless 58 that I picked up on the cheap, and it's great for playing live, eliminating the cable. But for recording and where the best sound is high priority, I usually pull out a 520 or one of a collection of old bullets, ceramics, and taxi dispatcher mics. A current fave is this Slim-X 777 from the '50s:

Into a small tube amp, it sounds nasty. But it's relatively tiny, and took a while to get comfortable with.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 8:11 am    

I’ve played thru lots bullets and shures , but lately my favorite mic is the Shaker Madcat.
It’s working great as a hard driving mic (Butterfield-esque ) and it has a volume control on it. It’s weird shape allows for real dynamic cupping tones.

I’ve never been a fan of Popper. He spends too much time racing around the far right side of the harp for my ears.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 8:50 am    

I've got one of those little Shakers, too. Not certain of the model, but it's a dynamic mic, not a crystal. The volume control is a nice feature. I like the Shaker.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 11:52 pm    

I use a Shaker dynamic too, but my current favourite is the new Sure Green Bullet. The perfect amount of natural sounding grit to my taste.