The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roller Bridge for Palm Pedal Benders Opinions Requested
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 7:43 am    

Hello everyone from GeorgeBoards

I've been following many of these Palm Pedal Threads to see a need for a Low Cost Bridge that has Rollers.

We think we have hit upon a good version and
Request your thoughts good or bad so we might improve - keep it as it is - forget it all together.

Technical blah yadda; .390 spacings - my spacings for P90 and HB - Blade type pickups.
Top of the roller from deck is .510 = 1/2"
To the bottom of the notch in the roller .495 which is pretty close to a notched fixed bar.

We have designed a cut away for the 2 most common pull strings to give maximum access to a low profile bender.

This unit already has a string receiver as part of the design.
It is possible the strings might be more consistent in brass contact tone as they are not going through a top ferrule that can dead end vibrations in some situations.

Thanks for scoping these out I look forward to questions comments from the folks here.

YouTube Channel

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 8:01 am     roller bridge

Very Happy Looks great,i suggest same style but made from brass, or stainless if poss.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 8:50 am    

I like it George. Have you thought about using deep grooves instead of holes to anchor the ball ends? That way the benders could be placed on any strings, not just the most common 2 strings.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 2:13 pm    

George,

Happy to be a guinea pig to try these out. I put Certano benders on the 25" black Skyliner, and unfortunately the bending strings are wearing through the brass bridge and nut really quickly. It's "sitaring" already. Was about to reach out to you, as a matter of fact!

- Jim

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 5:17 am     replies to commentaries

Thanks to everyone for the input, it helps me a lot.

Carl; I managed to under emphasize LOW COST in my original post.
I've been working with precision CNC machinist for nearly 30 years now, to do as you suggest would drive the per piece cost up into the hundreds of US Dollars.

Allan;I did a lot of R&D in making these 3D parts, I made roller Nut and Bridge parts in several forms, a few with the idea of making these so that any of the strings could go a bender unit.

A Roller Bridge with no sting receiver that the DIY builder can go with their own string Through scheme or what ever string ball attachment they see fit.

A Roller Nut with 3/8 spacing.

A roller Bridge without a cutaway so long as your string clears the receiver you can place your bender as you wish.

Jim; thank you for adding to this discussion, please send me a private message refreshing my memory to your snail mail I will gladly send you any of these for you to experiment with on the SkyLiner 25. No charge my pleasure to have a loyal customer experiment with these.

For those readers who haven't already figured it out, the rollers are simply String Balls cut from strings.

It is the same deal as the machining ; to have custom rollers like pedal steels have for their Nuts , is quite possible but again very pricey.

I have been granted a 6 month business stimulus at the facility where we make many of our current steel guitar DIY items , and will be going at it again, including Fretboards, and other products we are known for making to help the DIY builders of Slide Steel Lap Guitars.

I am happy to keep this discussion thread alive as long as folks want to talk about this topic.
I've always taken Forum Input very seriously and appreciate the forum in general.
YouTube Channel