The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Line 6 HX Stomp
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 5:39 pm    

So, after a year of listening to my band's guitarist use the HX Stomp effects pedal... I bit the bullet and got one for myself. Not to get into the weeds, but you can add a two button "momentary" footswitch, and then program it to scroll through your presets one button "UP", the other "DOWN". I went one better and ordered a steel guitar leg clip, so now this two button switch is mounted on the top of my back right leg.... and without even setting down my bar I can switch to another preset... even easily in the middle of a song. And actually, no stomping whatsoever.

Best thing, is it comes with PC software, so you can fine tune whatever you want.... save it to the pedal... and then fine tune it even more at the gig for live stage sound.

It has a fine built-in tuner as well.

I'll most likely be selling a ton of pedals here on the forum Smile

Of course, IMHO, subtle changes can be most effective on steel. Like Brill Cream, a little dab will do ya Smile

Chris Willingham

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 3:03 pm    

I don't have one on my steel board, but everything else runs through an HX Stomp and I really love it. Running the Stomp into the effects loop of a Tonedexter for fiddle, mandolin, dobro, lap steel and banjo.

The HX is incredibly flexible and versatile for $600. I don't have much else to compare it to (Kemper, Axe, etc), but I'm really digging everything I've used it for. I added a Morningstar midi controller and have banks for each instrument. Makes it super quick to switch between things. Good tuner, too. And between Line6's editing software and the amount of updates they do, I feel like I've more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

2021 MSA Legend XL Signature S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
p2p Bad Dawg 1x12, Quilter TT12 and a bunch of fiddles

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 3:37 pm    

I use mine for guitar - I’m super snobby about effects ( Lexicon and Eventide usually), and this unit is amazing.

I agree about the HX edit software - sooooooo simple and clear to use.

Currently trying to hold off from getting a Helix and/or one of their cabinets… Line 6 has always seemed like gear that sounded great in the store and sorta sucked in real life (the Pod was pretty good, I admit), but this is seriously good gear.

David Wren

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 8:42 pm    

Just came back from a gig with a much quieter band than I normally play with... I still loved the sound of the Line 6 HX Stomp... which is nice to hear it at a very different level.. but still get a nice warm tone.

Suits me anyway.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 2:12 am    

I have a POD X3 that I've used for years, for effects only. I considered modernizing and bought an HX Effects unit. Nice unit but more than I would ever need and seemed too bulky and heavy for a leg holder like the Tommy Dodd holder for the POD units, so I sold it.

Back to the POD X3 and for just delay/reverb a NUX Atlantic unit.

David Wren

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 1:47 pm    

I know it's been a while since I posted this, but I finally got a couple of pix that may help explain how I have configured the HX Stomp, and the external "momentary" 2 button switch that I use to scroll though my presets.

Here's the HX Stomp, as I have it mounted with EH B9 organ simulator, and power supply for the EH. Note, I put this on the left end of my steel... so I'm not interfering with my volume pedal on the right. By using the mounted 2 button switch to change presets, I only have to step on the pedal button to turn on/off the tuner:

Here's the Newkirk brand 2 button "momentary switch" that scrolls up, and down, through my presets... mounted on a leg clip, on the right back leg of my steel:

So far I only have a few presets: clean, chorus, light overdrive overdrive, moderate distortion... and one that uses the send/return fx jack to input the B9 pedal.

Hope this helps.

David Wren

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 7:14 pm    

I guess this is a giant bump? All these months later, and I only love this unit more.

So, I know this is a "guitar" FX unit... isn't that what we are all playing, with pedals and knee levers added Smile

C. Eric Banister

Scottsburg, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 6:36 am    

Hey David, Do you have any amp/cab combos you recommend?

David Wren

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 7:47 am    

I have several amps and cabs... but my main go-to amp is my Quilter Steelaire. For the light weight, and flexibility of this amp I find it a nice pairing with the HX Stomp.

I also discovered running the pre gain just under the same setting for the post gain gives it a bit more warmth.

Hope this helps.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 8:51 pm    

Bruce Bouton's pedal board

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2022 1:58 pm    

I use an HX Stomp on my guitar pedalboard. This is for Electric and Acoustic. (USA Tele and Martin D-28 )

The Fishman Tonedeq acoustic preamp is in the FX loop of the HX stomp. Fantastic sounding rig!

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89