The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Troubleshooting Steelaire Not Passing Signal
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 12:24 pm    

I've sent a note to Quilter customer service but in case one of you has an idea or three in the meantime...

I have a Steelaire rackmount that is suddenly passing no signal. The power light comes on but the channel select lights don't and there is no output regardless of where I position that selector switch.

There is no difference between the two speaker outs and the speaker 'sighs' when the unit is powered down so I'm thinking the issue isn't with the power section since you can hear it losing power when turned off.

I don't use a footswitch so nothing has been switched off externally.

Any idea of things I should try before sending it for service?

Thanks!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 2:33 pm    

Chris, have you tried a jumper from the effects send to the return? I have had a similar problem with Peavey and a few others with those jacks.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 6:16 pm    

I got an impressively quick and thorough reply from Quilter. This is apparently a known issue on a certain run of Steelaires having to do with a bad run of one particular part from a supplier.

To remedy this, they extended the warranty significantly to cover replacement for warranty-eligible owners.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 6:45 pm    

You better be eligible, but not illegible!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 6:51 pm    

I had the same problem a few of years ago. Some of the early Steelaires had a bad channel selector switch: no sound from the amp. Quilter said the supplier of the switch had changed the specs without telling them. They repaired it immediately, even though I was past the warranty period. I removed the head and shipped it to Quilter and I had it back, repaired, in eight days! And that was from Massachusetts to California and then back to Mass. Excellent customer service.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 3:40 pm     Quilter Steelaire Problem

What Doug said! My Steelaire combo amp was returned to the factory with the same problem. Quilter technicians fixed it in record time. I recently ordered a Steelaire amp head from Sweetwater. That amp was dead out of the box with the same problem. Sweetwater sent me a replacement a.s.a.p. (they checked it out before sending) and I returned the dead one. Evidently, a problem with the channel selector switches. Great amps, however, and well worth waiting for.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 2:41 am    

I'm all in with Quilter but wonder why QC didn't catch the apparently changed switch during final check? I seem to recall a power switch problem too.

I had a Steelaire rack then a combo and didn't have problems with either.

They have an issue right now with the screws that hold in the amp on a Block Dock speaker such as the TT models. When I got my TT12 combo the screws were not properly tightened at the factory (even had blue locktite on them) and they loosened to the point the amp came out and bounced around and damaged the speaker cabinet (and scratched the amp). Quilter took care of it (after several different shipments) and final shipment was new TB202 amp and new speaker cabinet with TB202 and speaker in separate boxes.

I replaced the two mounting screws with slightly longer ones and that assures the screws get started in the threaded inserts and get properly secured. I'm still considering adding a lock washer as they tend to loosen slightly in transit.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 7:30 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I'm all in with Quilter but wonder why QC didn't catch the apparently changed switch during final check?

The switch on mine worked fine for two years and then quit working. QC probably didn't notice anything unusual, maybe because the switch looked right, but some small part within had been changed...?

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 7:47 am    

This thread has me concerned, I just bought a Steelaire rackmount 2 weeks ago. I really love it but was confused as to why the indicator light for channel 2 is lit when channel 1 is selected and vice versa. I thought it was because of the clip on remote unit but now I'm worried.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 7:57 am    

I had it as well. There was a batch of faulty switches. They fix it quick, out of warranty , no questions asked.

It didn’t happen until it had some use, so I’m not sure they could detect it.

It was a small hassle, but they fixed it quickly.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 3:05 pm    

My Steelaire Combo channel selector went bad after 6 years of use. They fixed it no charge due to the known faulty switches.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 7:34 pm    

I had TWO Channel Selector switches go out in my Steelaire Combo a couple of years apart. Talk about a pain in the ass being at a live gig and your amp takes a dump Evil or Very Mad The second time wasn't as bad because I was at a rehearsal.
I now take an extra power supply with me when I go out, which the nice guys (Christopher Parks) at Quilter gave to me free of charge. Bless his heart. They seemed really embarrassed about it. Their customer service is second to none and I really love the amp.