The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tim O'Connor RIP
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 11:47 am    

Tim O'Connor, longtime club owner, music entrepreneur and erstwhile promoter of Austin music, partner of Willie Nelson as a director of the famed Fourth of July picnics, has died.

I met Tim the very first morning I spent in Austin on July 14, 1972, in front of a small folk club he owned called Castle Creek. I played that club many times, as well as other venues Tim created much larger than the original one. He was responsible for the Austin Opry House with Willie, the Austin Music Hall, the Back Stage Bar, and his true dream and obsession, the two locations of the outdoor concert venue, The Backyard.

He was a businessman with such a love for music and musicians, and always dreamt big.

RIP old friend.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 2:08 pm    

One time I played steel with Milton Carrol in Albuquerque we opened the show for Willie,Tim O'Connor promised me a ride home to Austin...we got a couple of miles outside of Lubbock in Tim's bigass Lincoln when we ran out of gas.Tim gets on the Cb and finds a woman at a base station who gets in touch with her brother in law who happens to own a gas station"this was at 5:00a.m.,A guy shows up with a gas can starts the Lincoln we follow him to his gas station"did I mention its a blizzard out...The guy opens the gas station we fill up,Tim pays him and then tried to give him a fifty dollar tip,The guy said no way be safe.One time Maria Mauldaur played at the Armadillo world Mike Finnegan was on Hammond Organ a d was sporting a black eye,Tim told me that He was in the golden gloves with Finnegan when they were kids and it must've been a bad dude who gave Mike the shiner,Turned out it was Maria's gal background singer who hauled off and hit Finnegan,They yucked it up.Godspeed Tim O'Conner
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 31 Jul 2021 3:08 am; edited 2 times in total

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 7:42 pm    

Great story Stu, Mike F. is a great soulful singer!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 3:09 am    

Craig,Yes!,
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 12:41 pm    

I know this thread is about Tim, so excuse the minor hijack.
When I was working for Robert Randolph, John Ginty played B3 (he now plays for the Allman Betts Band).
He played the Belly Up club in Aspen, Colorado and we had to get the B3 up these really narrow stairs to the second floor.
What a pain, but I love them.
Here's one of my favorite Bonnie Raitt songs with Mike Finnigan playing B3 (the rest of the band are fantastic too:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFdr_xNcv9s

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 11:47 am    

Just to correct y'all in the name of accuracy, Mike the master of the blues B3 has an unusual spelling of his last name.

His name is FLANIGIN.

It's easy to see how it can be misspelled for the more commonly seen Flanagan.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?