The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Italian Steel Cover interest
Leigh Pollari

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 8:38 am    

Are you Italian? Did your mother or grandmother cover her furniture with vinyl? Mine did. Or, is your guitar just too Purdy too cover up? Well, I am now making clear vinyl covers of a very heavy grade vinyl because your guitar pictures prove this would be cool. But just my opinion.... Does this sound like something that would interest any of you? Your comments are invited!

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 8:02 pm    

I'm not Italian (German) and not my Grandmother, but at 51 have childhood memories of folks and vinyl coverings on furniture.

But in my mind it's being played or in the case. If it's in he house for a while I don't need to cover it and remove it every time I want to practice.

Just my opinion but for those who use a cover a clear one could be cool.

Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 8:20 pm    

sounds like a good idea. people could see it's not a table.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 6:35 am    

That's a neat idea. My biggest concern would be the vinyl interacting with nitro lacquer finishes. I'd hate for the finish on someone's vintage steel to start getting gummy!

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 9:37 am    

Hah! Marie Barone, on Everybody Loves Raymond, would be so pleased!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YpGwwDizyA

Leigh Pollari

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 2:14 pm    

Nana would be so proud!

Here it is. I still have to finish the edge off, but I don't want to do too much and ruin the idea.

As for it rubbing or getting gummy, I don't know. I'll do some research. I'll let you know as it's currently on our guitar...

https://leighpollari.com/custom-steel-guitar-cover

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 3:58 pm    

Here’s a rundown on vinyl vs lacquer: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenMaint/Vinyl/vinyl.html

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 9:40 pm    

Even before considering the risks of vinyl on lacquer, this seems like an idea that should be ditched. That shiny vinyl looks really gaudy to me. Not to think what it would look like after having been folded up a couple of hundred times...And vinyl stinks – at least most softer varieties do, especially when new.

I'd rather leave my steel uncovered in a sandstorm than put on of those on Winking . Why not make a cover in a nice, unadorned natural fibre fabric instead, like cotton twill or wool tweed?I suppose that would also simplify sewing compared to working with plastics.

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 2:23 am    

I wouldn't even consider making them, if I were you. My opinion, of course. But, the fact that it could do damage, would end it for me.

Bill

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 7:49 am    

Wow you got too be a tough ombré here on the forum I've had my share of negative comments too.
I doubt it would hurt Formica steels.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 10:31 am     Leigh - Covers Available For Other Musical Related Items?

Hi Leigh,

Have you considered creating covers for other music related items such as mixer boards, computer monitors, MIDI controllers and so on?

As you may know, there are multiple kinds of clear vinyl stock available for use in creating covers. Some questions to ask your vendor when choosing your stock are: Will it discolor over time? Will it become brittle and crack as it ages? How does sunlight or UV rays affect it? How does it handle abrupt temperature changes?

Finally, what is the best way for someone to contact you concerning a quote?
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Leigh Pollari

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 3:23 pm    

Gaudy? I think our steel looks nice through the vinyl. Will it cause damage? Ask the Italians.it didn’t seem to hurt anything. Smell? No smell. Marine grade smells stronger. Wrinkles? Never saw any when I used it for my farm market display. I gave out samples of jam and needed to be able to wipe it up. Always folded it up. Make nicer covers using “better” material - I do. My intentions were not to have the guitar live under this, but to be able to show the guitar off at gigs. I appreciate the constructive comments everyone!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 5:57 pm    

I have 2 clear vinyl covers. I think one came from Herby, it has no piping so it ripped. The other one I believe I bought from Larry Keyt years ago. Heavier material with piping and hemmed bottom. I've had it for 15 yrs. at least, probably longer.

It has some small cracks at the corners, but it's held up really well overall and it hasn't really yellowed at all.

I have used them on my mica guitars, wood finished guitars which I think are poly finish v. lacquer. Always between playing them. Never had any problems with either. Never gave it any thought.

I dunno which guitars are actually lacquer finished, but I'm OK with mica or polyurethane finishes personally.

I wouldn't store or leave any type of vinyl cover on any guitar for extended periods of time unless it were lined with a benign fabric.

I'm not a buyer since I already have one, but you can weigh the comments you receive here and decide if it's worthwhile for you to craft these. I like them personally.

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 8:44 am     Opinion only.....

Sometimes it's more advantageous to just leave the "WHEEL" alone........

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 2:47 pm    

Mr. Pollari, I wish you the best with that idea. I think it's a fine idea and hopefully one that will turn out great for you.

Johnny

PS: Please keep us posted on how it goes, I'd love to know.

Leigh Pollari

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 9:24 am    

Thank you Mr. Baker!

I try to come up with things I think others may like. It's ok if they don't. I asked for opinions, and I sure got them. Living here in Nashville fighting for a spot in this great music business up against all the men (it's a man's world), a girl gets tough skin, or she won't last a month.

If you don't take those wheels for a test drive, how can you ever find how it drives?

I still stand. If anyone is interested in a clear, very good quality cover, to show off your steel, I'm ready to make them.

I love all you steel players. You've been very good to me!

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 12:26 pm    

Bobbe Seymour sold clear covers like these and i got one about twenty years ago. It has held up well and never discolored.

Maybe it's not good for lacquer but it's fine on a mica guitar.

I am due for a replacement soon. It's a nice cover in my opinion.

Best wishes!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 1:15 pm    

I'm still using the bath towel liberated from a Holiday Inn back in the seventies.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 2:22 pm    

Quote:
I'm still using the bath towel liberated from a Holiday Inn back in the seventies.

Hey Jack,is that towel clear?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 2:49 pm    

Greg Forsyth wrote:
Hey Jack,is that towel clear?

By now, it's nearly thin enough to see through. But, after more than forty years, I don't need it to be clear. I know what my old guitar looks like.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 6:24 am    

To be serious, Leigh, as a manufacturer of custom products the more options you have the more sales you'll have. As you've seen there is interest in the clear covers. Not for everyone but hey, I had custom speakers built with a burgundy python snakeskin tolex that only a few people like but the product is still sold.
Speaking of tolex, have you considered that as a cover material?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2021 12:52 pm    

With apologies for all the junk, here's the photo of the one I got from our late brother Larry Keyt who used to sell covers at the conventions.

If memory serves, it was 2000 or perhaps earlier that I picked this one up for a Derby I was playing at the time. I also used it on my Mullen guitars, one which was finished wood and several other mica guitars without any problems.

It's a heavy material although I don't know what weight and is hemmed and piped.

I think it's held up pretty good for at least 20 yrs.

It'll look better once all the wrinkles smooth out.

Leigh Pollari

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 7:36 am    

Greg, thanks for your comments. I do have some tolex. If anyone wants a cover with tolex, let me know!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 11:52 am     Get it at Walmart

My grandparents had it tight on all their living room furniture. Made for sticky sitting in the summer before AC.

As for the vinyl covers, I did that a few years ago for the same reason.
Get the vinyl at Walmart where you get a package with enough for 4 or 5 PSG's at a reasonable price.
Only thing is it comes folded and you have to lay it out and hit it a little with a heat gun (Not too hot) just enough to relax the folds and then leave it laying flat for a day or two.
It also fits nice in the case when you are done. Very Happy

However Leigh actually seems to sew her covers together and they look a darn sight better than mine.
I just used scotch tape on my corners and didn't get the really nice fit she got.
Maybe I should learn to sew with both thumbs? Well maybe not. Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 11 Aug 2022 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 6:07 pm    

Greg--"liberated from a Holiday Inn" Laughing As a professional luthier, By all means, don't use one of these on a lacquer guitar! Love you all. RP