The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telecaster and pedal steel ?
Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 7:16 am    

Len do you know what ASAT stands for?

I'm not Len, but I believe that ASAT stands for "After Strat After Tele"

Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 7:20 am    

On second thought...
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6592

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 9:15 pm    

Quote:
just wondered why many pedal steel guitarists seem to prefer a telecaster to a Stratocaster

I haven't found that to be the case. Most of the steel players I know also play j-string, and have a mix of Teles, Strats Les Pauls, Gretsch semi-hollows,jazz boxes - you name it.

Only some guys who play strictly country appear to be Tele only players, but even that number has dropped over the years as styles have changed. I think it may have been true 15 or 20 years ago - but not today.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Michael Harrington

Ann Arbor
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 5:41 am    

I double duty with an Emmons P/P and Les Paul Smile

Michael

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 7:03 am    

OK, this one's easy... What did Leo start with? lap steels and bright, clean sounding amps. So when it came time to hit the six-string market, he used the template he had, and created what amounts to a lap steel you play with your fingers instead of a bar.

I admit it; got more Teles in my six-string stable than any othersingle type. Winking

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 9:00 am     Re: Telecaster and pedal steel ?

James Taylor wrote:
I just wondered why many pedal steel guitarists seem to prefer a telecaster to a Stratocaster when changing from one instrument to the other?

My advice: Stop worrying about what everybody else is playing.
Winking

`

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 9:38 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:
OK, this one's easy... What did Leo start with? lap steels and bright, clean sounding amps. So when it came time to hit the six-string market, he used the template he had, and created what amounts to a lap steel you play with your fingers instead of a bar.

That would certainly help explain why Leo's first guitar was the proto-tele Esquire with a single bridge pickup and bridge cover.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 2:16 pm    

Dave , the guitars are all beautiful, I like the idea of having a maple neck and an ash body.
But what really catches my eye are the pre CBS amps! Un believable…early examples of sonic bliss imo. I just missed out on a ‘65 Tremolux up in Utah a week or so back.
People are asking a kings ransom for them now.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 6:17 pm     Tele

My 1972 Telecaster, still looking good

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 7:34 pm    

And just for fun, here's my '75 Telecaster with the pickguard off.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 7:44 pm    

Dave , the guitars are all beautiful, I like the idea of having a maple neck and an ash body.
But what really catches my eye are the pre CBS amps! Un believable…early examples of sonic bliss imo. I just missed out on a ‘65 Tremolux up in Utah a week or so back.
People are asking a kings ransom for them now.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 6:27 am    

I liked what a really great guitarist told me, Kevin Key, he said he usually plays with a strat but with hardcore country sometimes he can get the Tele to "Bark". I actually think that is a better description of the sound than twang.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 6:29 am    

[quote="Jim Sliff"]
Quote:

Only some guys who play strictly country appear to be Tele only players, but even that number has dropped over the years as styles have changed. I think it may have been true 15 or 20 years ago - but not today.

Aren't there a lot of jazz players who prefer Tele's? Everybody is talking about the Tele in country but it is also very prominent int the jazz world or at least was.

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 9:24 am    

It’s because most steel players play country music, and that has come to be the guitar country guitarists are expected to play. Many band leaders even use the term “lead guitar” and “Tele” synonymously.

In the old days, there was much more variety in what a country lead player would use. Nashville players of the 40s-70s like Grady Martin and Hank Garland mostly used Gibsons and Epiphones. Teles were the choice of west coast players like James Burton, Roy Nichols, Buck and Don, as well as road players who couldn’t afford a more expensive instrument, and also the odd guy like Luther Perkins. I’d say Reggie Young was the first player to come to Nashville and make a Tele a requited piece of gear in the studios here. Just about every A-Team guitarist owned a 69 or 70 Tele, that’s right when Reggie came to town from Memphis!

In the mid 70s through early eighties, many of the Nashville players who used ES style Gibsons switched to Les Pauls (Grady Martin, Harold Bradley, etc). Since the traditional country resurgence of the mid eighties and nineties, led by players like Ricky Skaggs with Ray Flack, Marty Staurt (with Clarence White’s original pull-string Tele), and Bakersfield-centric Dwight Yoakam, it’s come to be where on a lot of country gigs, if you show up without a Tele, you showed up with “the wrong guitar.”

Teles are great and do a special thing no other guitars do, and they are also excellent chameleons (they can do way more than just “chicken picking”). However, I miss the variety of the old days. Grady played an ES-355, Billy Byrd played a Byrdland, Harold Bradley played a Jaguar, Leon Rhodes played an Epiphone Sheraton, Wayne Moss played a Jazzmaster, Chet Atkins and his disciples played Gretsch, Eldon Shamblin payed a Strat, Merle Travis played a Super 400, etc…

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 10:10 am    

Good info Chris. I don't remember exactly when it happened but I distincly remember the time when the Nashville style of Tele picking more or less took over all the country recordings coming out of Music City.

It was very obvious that a different style of guitar playing was emerging and that nearly everyone was piling on. You saw guys like Leon Rhodes etc. and many others following suit.

I know that players did and still do use many styles of playing and instruments, but it just seemed the Tele style was more prevalent.

Fine with me, but I always enjoyed the mellow style of Gibson, Gretsch etc. mentioned by Chris as done by say, Harold Bradley etc.

I guess guys like Brent Mason had a lot to do with that in later years since he was on nearly everything coming out of Nashville. And then came along the Nashville Tele with a Strat pup in the middle.

One of the things I always noticed about Steve Wariner's early years was the use of that red Strat. No point, just an observation.

I'm a big fan of the Tele yes. I have a few or a few copies.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 12:19 pm    

Chris Scruggs wrote:
It’s because most steel players play country music, and that has come to be the guitar country guitarists are expected to play. Many band leaders even use the term “lead guitar” and “Tele” synonymously.

…

I've been on Teles PRE Country Music and Pre Steel. I've had totally different influences for this dang instrument and over the long haul it has become my instrument of choice.

Oh yeah, when I crossed over to country, ( early 70's) I was already prepared, Tele and a Twin. Then added a Pro III !~

Chris , hope to catch you with the Marty show again soon when you are in Charlotte.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 31 Jul 2021 1:29 am; edited 2 times in total

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 12:24 pm    

Were Roy Nichols and Don Rich responsible for a lot of the tele style?

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 1:22 pm     $89 Partscaster

Bought this partscaster with Wilkinson pickups three weeks ago for $89

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 2:05 pm    

Not all steel players play Tele's. I play Strat's, Tele's, ES335's and Les Paul's. As far as tone I would say the classic bridge pickup on a Tele would be more like an old Sho-Bud permanent and a Strat would be more like most modern all pull steels. Tele got a little more balls in the twang department. The late Nashville session guitar player Grady Martin, mostly a Gibson semi-solid player once said "The tone of a Telecaster can kill Johnson grass for 50 feet." Something a lot of steel players and guitar players don't know is the pickups in the Telecaster bridge were originally in Leo Fenders lap steels. They sounded good in his lapsteels which predated the Telecaster so he just put the same pickup in his Tele. That's why so many pickupless lapsteels keep showing up on eBay. Guitar players rob the pickups out of them and sell the rest of the steel. The early pickups in the steels and early Tele's/ Esquires and some Broadcasters are the most sought after.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 4:14 pm    

Love my PRS Semi Hollowbody Special it has 12 different pickup selections best guitar EVER! I have had em all actually still do..

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 4:27 pm    

There was a time in the 70s and 80s a lot of players were using the Peavey T-60, but I think the Tele won out.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 8:32 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Were Roy Nichols and Don Rich responsible for a lot of the tele style?

If you wanted the ultimate Tele guy back in the day, two words would suffice:

James Burton.

Don and Roy's bandleaders used him quite a bit in the studio. So did Gram, Emmy Lou, Steve Stills(at least once with BE), John Denver, and innumerable others, including JB's own bandleader....

Ake Banksell

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 10:57 pm    

It’s all in your hands, boy.
https://youtu.be/dwEsjN6BEaE

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 3:56 am    

Steel Guitar and Tele !

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 6:32 am    

What Terry Wood said. I prefer my Tele on dual duty gigs. But I do have a variety of archtops and solid body guitars. The Tele gets the nod in most cases.