The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hearing aid question
ken collins

Oklahoma City, OK.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 8:47 am    

Hope I'm in the right topic. Dies anyone know quality of hearing aid called Kirkland Signature and price?. Thanks in advance. Ken

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 9:42 am    

They are from Costco.. Much cheaper than the major brands that are each a monumental rip off... Thery are made by whichever of the major manufacturers that gives them the best price.. Here's more info-

https://www.hearingtracker.com/ask/who-makes-kirkland-hearing-aids#:~:text=Who%20makes%20Kirkland%20hearing%20aids%3F%201%20Clifford%20Olson%2C,Mark%20Butler%2C%20AAS.%20...%206%20Dave%20Harris.%20

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

ken collins

Oklahoma City, OK.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 10:08 am     Hearing aid question

Thanks Bob, Ken

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 10:49 am    

I just got a set of Costco hearing aids in June, they are amazing as far as I am concerned, the ear doc wanted 6,000 and these were 1400. I would go as far as to say they have been life changing!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 12:24 pm    

Cheapest way by far to get into top end hearing aids is to buy used... $500 or less will get you a set of top of the line aids that are typically pristine. Lots of people buy them and never use them, or their children take their parents for hearing aids, and they pass on shortly thereafter.. ebay is full of them.... They simply need to be programmed at any audiologist or hearing aid dispenser to your loss... Many will NOT do it as they want to make the big bucks on new aids, not hundred dollar bill for a 1/2 hour programming.. Many will however, you just need to make a few calls/... Its the best way to get your first set of aids at a super cheap price... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 12:38 pm    

I recently (3 months ago) got the Kirkland hearing aids. Nothing was done by the audio person other than "here they are". No fitting, he forgot to program the feedback, and ear plugs kept coming out. iPhone program to control them was very basic (useless). Whether this is indicative of typical Costco or if I got a dud audio tech??

I went to a regular hearing aid place. Along with the standard hearing test, I got to try them for 2 weeks, with weekly adjustments, before I paid any $$ and even after I decided I wanted them I was given another 30 days. The audiologist also took measurements to get the right fit and ear plug size. The place I went also gives a 4 year warranty, I now have Starkey Livo 2400's and the Starkey Thrive iPhone program that works.
Price was more but service.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 6:19 am    

Jack, that’s completely different from my experience. I found them helpful and professional, and about a third of the price of “retail” audiologists.

Further, when they’ve had mechanical problems (this happens, $6000 variant or the cheaper option) you can get them serviced rapidly in any state or in Canada.

I’ll never go anywhere else.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 10:41 am    

If you are a military veteran, the VA will provide them free of charge if you are eligible for health care. It is worth finding out. Google how to apply for disability on line, or go to any of the Veterans group. Most states also have Veterans servce reps that can help. They will help, and know how to navigate through the process. I not only got the hearing aids, I got a 10 percent disability rating and $149 a month pension for tinnitus. I spent 7 years working in very loud work environment. My ears were ringing a little when I left the Navy. Being young and dumb I did not complain. You have to make sure you apply for tinnitus in addition to hearing loss.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 10:45 am    

I got top of the line Phonak hearing aids, $3500 on the street. I can send a copy of my application if it will help. Just email me.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 4:18 pm    

I have Kirkland and they seem to be very good

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 9:12 pm    

Mine are Phonak from Costco. They have non-Kirkland options.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 8:42 am    

Why so much? I had my ears tested at one of those FREE HEAR TESTING stores in Hollywood, Florida a few years ago.

The exam was high tech, good results too, no need for a hearing aid that cost $3000+.

My opinion is the cost, the test is free so if 30 people show up to get tested in per day and 27 walk out with buying a hearing aid, how does the store make up for labor cost & equipment usage?

By having to charge $3000 to those other three who desperately are in need of a hearing aid.

Is this hearing device made in CHINA, Cheap!!!! if so what's the actual cost for the store, remember they have to pay for labor, rent, insurance, equipment, etc. What's their actual profit???

It just don't add up.

Yup, at 72 I'm beginning to show signs of a hearing loss, but no way will I spend $3000+ there are lower cost hearing aids out there.
Besides who wants to hearing the wife nag you all day, she's always complain, do this, do that, when will ya get this done, get off your butt and help me, turn the TV down, etc., et., etc.

Silence is golden!!!!!!!!