The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Tutorials List Update Now up to 36
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 9:06 am    

Spring is on the way and things are opening back up. I'm sure some of you will be going back to playing live, so with my buy 2 tutorials and get 1 free, you can save some money and be studying these things in no time.
Also, if this is your first purchase from me, you can request to join Mike Sweeney's Steel Guitar Tutorials Group on Facebook and get a lot of free information there to go along with them.
Just read the ordering instructions and the list [that is always growing] below. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

With that being said, I'm going to answer some questions I've been getting and tell those of you that don't already know, how this program works and how to get them and a little about what is on the videos that are available already.
1st, these are digital downloads, not dvds. They are sent via google drive to your email. You open the link and download the files to your computer.
2nd, payment is via PayPal only.
3rd, when you order you need to include your email address so I can send you the tutorials.
4th, my PayPal address that you order from is:
steelplayer1960@gmail.com
Remember, it is $16 per tutorial, not $16 for all.
Now I will give you an overview of the tutorials. These things go in to a lot of detail and that makes it impossible to tell you everything included so I'm going to hit the high spots.
Tutorial #1, basically teaches you ideas to get from a 1 to 4 chord. In this tutorial I take a solo from an old tune that most everyone knows and I teach you the solo. Then I dissect it and show you how to use parts of it for fills etc.... then I show you how to use part of the solo to create a solo for another old song. So as you can see, these things can be involved.
Tutorial #2, is an addition to the 1 to 4 chord thing. Showing you how to take simple ideas and expand on them.
Tutorial # 3, also shows you how to take the simple ideas and make the more musical. There are some interesting Hal Rugg licks involved.
Tutorial #4, deals with the 9th string ( D ) and it's many uses. Several guys have told me this opened their eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.
Tutorial #5, is playing C6th type things on the E9th neck. This will give you some tools to play wester swing and blues on the "country" neck. Especially good for those that play E9th only.
Tutorial #6, is how I do chimes or harmonics.
Tutorial #7, deals with coming up with intros on the spot. Works great for turnarounds too.
Tutorial #8, takes up where #7 left off. Giving you more ideas over different chord changes.
Tutorial #9, is full of information about the 1st and 2nd string raises, 2nd string lower, B&C pedals and some interesting licks.
Tutorial #10, is the 1st in a series of tutorials on the C6th tuning. In this tutorial I show you options on comping chords in a 12 bar blues format.
Tutorial #11, is another C6th tutorial working with the 12 bar blues. This tutorial teaches pockets or postions for single note line ideas.
Tutorial #12, again a C6th tutorial discussing turnaround chords ie 6-2-5 etc... I feel this is an often overlooked topic.
Tutorial #13, I'm back on the E9th neck with this one. This tutorial is about playing single notes and helping you improve your speed. This is the longest tutorial to date. 5 parts a total of 40+ minutes. Packed with information.
Tutorial #14, In this tutorial I dissect the solo to "Together Again". I show you the original solo, then give you three more alternate solos.
This is a fun one.
Tutorial #15, This tutorial shows a few examples of playing intros that were done on other instruments. This is for the player working in a small group that has to cover piano, fiddle parts. These examples give you an understanding that as long as you can find the melody, you can play the intro.
Tutorial #16, this tutorial is about bar slants. I have have had several requests to do a tutorial on this subject.
I show the technique and give you some examples.
Tutorial #17, takes us back to basics with bar control excercises. This is great for the newer players to build eye/hand coordination and to sharpen your ears. It's also good for the guys that have been playing for years.
Tutorial #18, in this tutorial, I teach you the beautiful "O Holy Night". I have broken it down into small sections and have included an mp3 rhythm track for you to play along with.
Tutorial #19, this tutorial is about minors and how to solo over them and the variations on the E9 tuning.
Tutorial #20, this tutorial is also about minors but is on the C6 tuning.
Tutorial #21, this tutorial is about the "Bakersfield Sound" that Ralph Mooney made famous. In this tutorial, I give some examples of his style along with helping you get "that" sound and attitude. This is a must have for you guys and gals playing in bands that play a lot of Merle, Buck. Wynn, and Waylon.
Tutorial #22, this tutorial is all about backing up a singer. I show you an intro option as well as fill ideas and a solo. The singer is Laney Hicks. So you will be inspired.
An mp3 file of the track is included.
Tutorial #23, this tutorial is a gear tutorial.
In this tutorial I review and go through the basic eq settings of 2 popular amps. The Boss Katana 100 and the Peavey Nashville 112. There is a section on each amp and a 3rd section on using the 2 different amps in stereo.
This has been requested several times.
Tutorial #24, is about recording your steel, and tips to get the best sound you can, whether using a microphone or line out from both a Nashville 112 and a Katana 100. You also get the track used for the tutorial to practice and record with yourself
Also, this is the longest tutorial to date. It has so many parts, it comes in 2 folders. But don't worry, it's still the same price as the others.
Tutorial #25 is for you guys playing in praise bands, modern country bands, pop and rock.
There is a track as well as a click track for you to try these ideas as well as come up with your own.
Tutorial #26 is one that gives you ways to think of playing single note lines over diminished and augmented chords. Very simple ways at looking at a thing we've all struggled with at one time or another.
Tutorial #27 is a lesson for playing uptempo 2 beat songs. Some inside/outside ideas, single note lines as well as double stops and chords thrown in. There are 3 solo examples along with a short rhythm track. The progression is to Working Mans Blues, I think every band plays that tune. There is also some excercises along with the solos.
Tutorial #28 takes up where #27 left off. In this tutorial I show you some interesting licks to insert in your solos. These will give you more options. Especially, if you use your imagination.
Tutorial #29, In this tutorial I teach you the intro to "Touch My Heart", then we dissect it in to short segments and look at the possibilities for fills etc...
Tutorial #30, this tutorial is about playing blues and rock type things using overdrive/distortion to get slide and guitar type licks on the E9 neck. It comes with a 12 bar blues track, similar to "Kansas City". For those of you working in bands that play that kind of thing, this will perk up your band mates and your ears.
Tutorial #31, this tutorial covers the steel on 3 Johnny Bush tunes. "Apartment #9", "Sound Of A Heartache" and "Whiskey River". This tutorial may come in handy if you're playing with a band that wants to pay homage to The Country Caruso.
Tutorial #32
This one is a C6th tutorial, about a topic I get asked about a lot.
This tutorial is about playing octaves. It has some scale based exercises and a few cool licks and other food for thought.
Tutorial #33, this tutorial is about playing things in the style of Lloyd Green. I take you through some intros, and then extract parts of them to create fills etc... there is also 1 part that has a few tasty licks in it.
Tutorial #34, this tutorial is all about John Hughey. As usual, we dissect things and come up with ideas for other uses.
Tutorial #35, is playing western swing intros, usually done on the C neck, on the E9th. 4 popular WS tunes.
Tutorial #36, this is a 2 folder tutorial with 8 parts. It is a C6th tutorial that shows 2 approaches to the old Bob Wills tune "Home In San Antone". 1 solo is in the vein of Buddy Emmons and the other is in the vein of Curly Chalker.
Thanks.
I hope this clears up any confusion. Feel free to contact me if you're interested.
And thanks again.
#ghsstrings

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 12:50 pm    

Added number 36. Very Happy

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 4:50 pm    

I sent you an order on Paypal

Thanks, James

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2021 3:37 pm    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 6:03 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2021 9:24 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 4:00 pm    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 6:26 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 10:30 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 9:06 am    

Sale is still going on. Plus, I'm gonna throw in one of my instrumental album downloads when you take advantage of the buy 2 get one free.
So, with every 2 tutorials you purchase, you get a free tutorial of your choice plus one of my albums.
Can't beat that deal. Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:34 pm    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 9:03 am    

Very Happy Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 9:46 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 5:18 am    

Keep those cards and letters coming in. Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 3:18 pm    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2021 8:17 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 9:51 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 4:39 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2021 5:45 pm    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 2:18 pm    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2021 4:37 pm    

Very Happy

John Francisco

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2021 11:26 am    

Mike,
I just got my first Fender Studio Deluxe Lap Steel (1964)and I'm looking for C6 tuning lessons. Can you please tell me all the course numbers that I can order? Also it would be helpful to everyone if you could edit all your courses to say what tuning is used and weather a pedal steel is necessary. Thank you.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2021 12:09 pm    

Most of the tutorials are E9th tuning except where noted. The C6th tutorials are labeled as such.
These are not lap steel tutorials.
I do believe I have them marked which tuning plainly enough.
Thanks

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 5:05 am    

Very Happy

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 10:05 am    

Smile