The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Splitting Output Signal Questions
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 5:41 am    

I run George L cables, pot pedal, Black Box, Sarno Classic preamp. I would like to try running 2 15”, 4 ohm speakers, each speaker with a Ganz Straight Ahead power amp (no stereo). What is the best device to use to split the output from the preamp? Just a regular “Y”? The ones I have are kinda cheap looking. Or maybe build a metal project box with 3 , 1/4” female jacks? Is there some kinda of proper device made that I could buy to do this?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 7:39 am    

Connecting one pre-amp into driving two identical power-stages, is the job for a "Y" cable. How much more "proper" you want to make the humble "Y" in your setup, won't change how it works.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 7:57 am    

Thanks George. That’s how I thought it was. I guess my concern is that the standard Y cable you get from the internet music stores or say Radio Shack, don’t appear to be very high quality. I didn’t know if I would be loosing something thru them & if there was a better quality one I could get. Or do you think it’s just a case of either they work or they don’t?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 8:48 am    

Choosing cables and connections that mechanically can take the handling without shorting or breaking, is always important. I do not know that particular pre-amp in any details, so what it can handle with respect to shorting of its output is unknown. Most pre-amps will just stay silent until the shorting is fixed, but not all are that well protected on their outputs.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 1:25 pm    

Danny,
I've never used it but ran across this recently when looking at how to split a single monitor mix to multiple powered monitors

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GXYJIBS?siid=263462&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl_SHBhCQARIsAFIFRVVEc327qWQRo5blnKTw4txV0W2vB8scoK2G4m74gfl8kVNhe9FL37UaAomPEALw_wcB

Andy

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 3:10 pm    

Andy that looks interesting. How
did you you end up doing it?

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 2:25 pm    

A "Y" cable will work, but it might not stand up to abuse and then it will fail at the worst time. A box is more bulky but much more rugged -- you can make one yourself as you state.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 3:07 pm    

Do you think just little wire like in a
Goodrich pot pedal would be ok to connect the jacks together?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 4:18 pm    

Danny Letz wrote:
Do you think just little wire like in a
Goodrich pot pedal would be ok to connect the jacks together?
If you are thinking about unscreened cable compared to the more normal screened ones, then yes, unscreened cable should work fine. The pre-amp's output should (I expect – don't know the pre-amp) provide a low enough impedance to keep such a connection cable immune to noise fields even at quite some length, and unscreened cables are easier to solder and isolate for a mechanically rugged connection.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 3:10 pm    

I found that I already had a solid splitter from Radio Shack that had never been out of the bubble pack. Tried the system on a gig last night and except for the added setup, teardown, hauling work, it ready was pretty nice.

Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 4:07 pm    

I'd recommend using a Radial Big Shot AB/Y pedal.I've used them for years on dual guitar amp setups and they have always been rock solid. It has a iso transformer on the B out out to help eliminate hum from transformer mismatches and is passive so no concerns about batteries or powering the unit.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 3:08 am    

I was really 'lucky' when setting up a couple of Roland Cube 60 units for a similar end-use...I just ran a (normal mono guitar) cable from the 'Tuner Out' jack on the back of Cube #1 to the Input Jack of Cube #2....works perfectly !

Had to *&%$ around a bit to build some double-pole footswitches to control both Cubes simultaneously, but that worked well too... Wink

Cheers,
Peter

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 4:06 pm    

Quote:
Ron Forrest - I'd recommend using a Radial Big Shot AB/Y pedal.I've used them for years on dual guitar amp setups and they have always been rock solid. It has a iso transformer on the B out out to help eliminate hum from transformer mismatches and is passive so no concerns about batteries or powering the unit.

Another vote for the Radial BigShot AB/Y - I used one this past weekend for an outdoor gig driving 2 Fender amps. Worked great and didn't have any hum. Very solid construction.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 6:19 pm    

Sorry, Danny. Didn't see you ask how I did it. I still haven't yet, so I don't have a working solution, yet.

Andy