The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please explain the Match Box Model 60.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 4:33 pm    

I picked up a Match Box Model 60 on a whim. I plugged it in after my Humbucker-equipped Encore then passing through a Hilton VP and into the lower gain input on a Milkman Half and Half.

It did provide a boost and I was able to use the knob to change the tone, but I'm not convinced it sounds any better with the Match Box than without.

I know it's mostly an impedance matcher but I'm curious about a couple things.

1) Is the knob a traditional passive tone pot that just cuts highs or does it modify the impedance?

2) Is there any practical reason to need impedance matching when I'm using an active Hilton volume pedal?

3) Is it known to work better with humbucker or single coil pickups or doesn't that matter?

4) Does the matchbox have any potential uses with other instrument pickups and amplifiers?

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 4:51 pm    

As far as the tone control, I’m not 100% but pretty sure it’s just passive. No impedance matching benefit beyond what the Hilton pedal (or any Boss pedal for that matter) provides.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2021 4:35 am    

My understanding is it's a buffer, made to match impedance and drive longer cable runs without loss of highs. The Hilton pedal does this so it probably won't help. You can however get some tone changes at your fingertips. That is a plus for me. I use one on all my steels with Goodrich passive volume pedals. I have one Hilton VP and still leave it in circuit for tone changes on the fly. YMMV.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 2:56 am     Re: Please explain the Match Box Model 60.

Karl Paulsen wrote:
I picked up a Match Box Model 60 on a whim. I plugged it in after my Humbucker-equipped Encore then passing through a Hilton VP and into the lower gain input on a Milkman Half and Half.

It did provide a boost and I was able to use the knob to change the tone, but I'm not convinced it sounds any better with the Match Box than without.

I know it's mostly an impedance matcher but I'm curious about a couple things.

1) Is the knob a traditional passive tone pot that just cuts highs or does it modify the impedance?

2) Is there any practical reason to need impedance matching when I'm using an active Hilton volume pedal?
Karl
You don’t need impedance matching w/ Hilton pedal it’s already built in. The Matchbox will, however, allow some gain boost and tone control at your fingertips. I have one of the older Hilton digital sustain boxes that had tone control knob which is the Hilton version of Matchbox that I prefer much more than my Matchbox. My Mullen has aluminum necks and is WAAAAAY bright and the Hilton Sustain or Goodrich Matchbox allows me to taper those highs a bit when needed without having to reach over and adjust the amp. Very convenient.

3) Is it known to work better with humbucker or single coil pickups or doesn't that matter?

4) Does the matchbox have any potential uses with other instrument pickups and amplifiers?

Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 3:01 am    

You won’t need impedance matching using a Hilton pedal but the Matchbox like my Hilton digital sustain box, will allow you to add some gain and tone control. I personally prefer my Hilton sustain to my Matchbox. I have one of the older Hilton sustain boxes w/ tone control and like its tone control better than the Matchbox. The aluminum necks on my Mullen make for super bright tone and the tone control allows me to taper those highs when needed without reaching for my amp. Very convenient.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 6:28 pm    

Thanks folks,
Tried it briefly at a jam last week but didn't give it as much attention as I was focused on the tunes.
Doesn't fundamentally seem to change much beyond the tone knob and I'm sitting close enough to the amp to adjust as needed.

Still undecided as to whether it's worth adding to the line but I'm not getting rid of it just yet.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 7:04 pm    

Karl, I have several Goodrich matchbox products and I have used them in various situations with good results. I would keep it handy.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 3:01 pm    

I once had a Matchbox that I bought backing the early to mid 80’s. I used it for many years, and eventually I put a battery cut-off switch on it. The Matchbox worked great for me. I could go from being very high and twangy, to low and mellow with one convenient knob. I sold it when I messed up and sold my gear back in 2013.

I’m back at it again now, so that’s why I bought Karl’s Matchbox. Very Happy

I’ve already got a mini SPST toggle switch waiting on it. There are more fancier and up to great Matchbox versions out there, but I like the simplicity of the old ones with one knob. I also use a simple pot pedal,