The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In ear monitors
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 3:35 pm    

Maybe somebody knows of a set of in ear plugs that are very small. I have tiny ear canals and hoping I dont have to do a custom mold because of the cost. Ive tried a couple of ear sets that are supposed to be small. I cant get them in my ears at all. Just checking to see if someone on here can help.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 4:01 pm    

These Shures come with an assortment of squeezable foam tips.

Works for me. Sound good. Adequate noise cancelling.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 4:50 pm    

I use these and they work pretty good. Mid priced and a lot cheaper than molded ones. A lot of tips to choose from.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE535--shure-se535-sound-isolating-earphones-clear
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2021 10:12 pm    

Ron, don’t rule out custom molds because of cost. I have Alclair Audio Dual XB custom molds that sound INCREADIBLE with my steel and they are $349, $100 cheaper than the Shures and they sound better and yes I have used the Shures. Alclair is great company in Minneapolis, MN with a store in downtown Nashville as well. Their quality is superb.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 3:11 am    

Michael, that’s great to know. I may check them out. I don’t use IEM’s a lot but I wish I’d known about them a few years back. Thx
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 7:54 pm     Re: In ear monitors

Ron Sodos wrote:
Maybe somebody knows of a set of in ear plugs that are very small. I have tiny ear canals and hoping I dont have to do a custom mold because of the cost. Ive tried a couple of ear sets that are supposed to be small. I cant get them in my ears at all. Just checking to see if someone on here can help.
I have decided to use a set of blue-tooth headphones with microphone, for my needs.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 2:01 pm    

Has anyone tried being the rogue IEM user in a band? So, I’m thinking of (instead of a wedge monitor in front of me) taking my monitor feed into a Behringer P2 and ear buds…

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 3:56 pm    

I’ve used them for 18 years and would never go back.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 6:18 pm     I'm the one not using

I'm the only one in my 5 piece band not using in ears. I use a Behringer personal monitor. It works ok but when we play large clubs we get really loud and the monitor doesn't work as well. They have me talked into using IEMs but my ear canals are so small I haven't been able to find ear pieces to fit. The cost of custom ear pieces plus the body pack is $500+. And that is conservative. I was really hoping I could find some that were small enough so that I didn't have to go the custom route....

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 6:34 pm    

The tube that the disposable tip goes on varies in outer diameter, my Alclairs and Ultimate ears had large diameters, Shure, Westone and some others i've had had smaller diameter. So maybe you could describe your situation to a retailer like Sweetwater and they could measure those for you.

I've also had to cut flanges and other material off the tips to make them more comfortable

I'll measure outer diameters if i can find my digital caliper.

Rex Blevins

Jenks, Oklahoma USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 4:51 pm     IEM's

Ron,
I have used 2 sets of Future Sonics for the past 10 years. Yes, I felt it was worth the $25.00 spend to get the molds and then let Marty Garcia from Future Sonics do his magic of fitting and tweeking the sound.
look at Marty's resume of who he makes molds for and I think you will agree, all the way from U2 to James Taylor. Case closed.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 2:50 am     Re: In ear monitors

Johnny Baker wrote:
Ron Sodos wrote:
I have decided to use a set of blue-tooth headphones with microphone, for my needs.

Johnny,
Do you not have latency issues with Bluetooth?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 6:37 am     Re: In ear monitors

Patrick Huey wrote:
Johnny Baker wrote:
Ron Sodos wrote:

Johnny,
Do you not have latency issues with Bluetooth?

I bought a bt transmitter for my TV. Works good but has latency issues. I tried it with my mixer and the latency was bad enough that what I was hearing in my ears was not matching up to what was coming out of my dobro and mandolin. The latency wouldn't be acceptable for live performance.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 3:09 pm    

I bought these on a tip from a local guitar player. They sound better than my E3 shures. Only complaint I have is they don't put a very long cable on them so you might want to purchase an extension. They really have great fidelity as they have 5 drivers. I've had them a year and no problems yet. The price ain't bad either at $60.00

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Armature-Headphone-Detachable-Microphone/dp/B07GW8GVG1/ref=sr_1_18?crid=297Y7IVKX4E1Q&dchild=1&keywords=in+ear+monitor&qid=1627427111&sprefix=in+ear%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-18

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 5:55 pm     Size

Problem is not price so much as size. So far every set Ive tried wont go in my ear. My ear canals are tiny and even the small size wont fit.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 6:01 am     Re: Size

Ron Sodos wrote:
Problem is not price so much as size. So far every set Ive tried wont go in my ear. My ear canals are tiny and even the small size wont fit.

Ron
You need to have custom in ear molds made then. Soft silicone custom molded to your ears. They form much better seal as well.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!